Dear All,

I would like to know if anyone has tried the following:

Tokina AFX 80-200f2.8 SD or Tokina AFX PRO 80-200f2.8

The second one is the "PRO" version while the first one is not, both

are for nikon mount.

How do they compare? And Is the first one good enough in terms of

good images?

Thank you very much!

I have one Tokina and that's enough: I will not waste my money on Tokina lenses once again. Get instead a Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX APO HSM.

The Sigma is as sharp as it gets (I now have a Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR AF-S and I can't tell the difference between the two in terms of image quality), well built and focuses quickly and quietly (HSM = AF-S). On your D100 the focusing speed of a AF-S lens should be substantially faster than a traditional, screwdriver-AF lens.

I cannot agree with the first respondent. I have used the tokina pro and the sigma hsm lenses as well as the Nikon ED lens on my nikon f5 and I have the following comments to make.

The quality and handling of the tokina is superb and second only to the Nikon lens. It is a robust metal and glass construction, with a metal lens hood and substantial tripod mount. The optics are excellent.

The quality of the sigma hsm lens is also good, but the construction seems less robust and less durable with poorer ergonimics. The sigma does have the high speed autofocus, but the tokina is no slouch either.

Choice is personal, and mine would be tokina over the sigma, becasuse it handles beautifully and optically there was no discernable difference (they are both good optics) but neither are as good as the AFS ED Nikon.

I hope this provides a more balanced appaisal of these 80-200 f2.8 lenses from someone who has used them all. I think it is fair to say that you should go for the one that suits your pocket and whichever feels best to handle, as they will all return fantastic results.

I have no experience of the earlier tokina lens but the ATX Pro (as it is known in europe) should provide better results that its predecessor.