Field storage of exposed roll film

gregruskin

A simple question: I'm new to 6X6 format, and will be on a field trip

for several weeks in the Andes, shooting mostly 120/220 film. 1. Does

roll film need to be protected in a dark container after exposure? 2.

Any tips on preventing damage to exposed rolls from moisture

condensation: with 35mm film, I always put exposed roles in the

plastic container. Zip lock bags? Double bags?

Roll film is prone to edge fog if you wave it about in the light too much. Sometimes the backing paper pulls to one side and lets light seep down one edge of the spool.<br>Aluminium kitchen foil is one answer.<br>Wrap your lunch in it, take your pictures, eat lunch, wrap the exposed film in the foil. That's my cunning tip-of-the-day.

I keep all my roll film in an inside pocket of my bag just after it comes out of the filmback. If you expect high (above 50%) humidity in the Andes, I would buy some silica gel from a sporting goods store (or on eBay I have heard) and toss some into your bag. Be sure to change them if they get saturated.

You can also make a light-tight container out of two Kodak or other opague plastic 35mm canisters. Just cut the bottom off of one and jam it into the top of a second one.. Heating the lower one in hot water softens it enough to let it expand and fit over the other one. At least it recycles a few film containers.

Greg:

I recommend two things. 1) Tupperware...a good sized container. 2) Some silica gel packets. The tupperware is air and water tight. The silica packets will absorb any moisture-laiden air that gets into the tupperware each time you open the container to insert/remove film. This is lightweight and practical, and also inexpensive. Then, I would also get one big film X-ray pouch for when you are flying in and out of your destination.

Lowe Pro have, in their 'Street and Field' range, a film drop pouch (I've got one). It's big enough for about 15 rolls of 120 film I think, and has a clever lid that allows the film to be pushed through an overlapping series of flaps (light tight to a great extent), and has a zip side to retrieve the films. It's also got an AW all weather cover in a pocket on the base.

It's listed on this page http://www.lowepro.com/pages/bySeries/StreetF.htm# (From Lowe Pro online catalogue).

• 6 years later...