Hasselblad 503 CW anad CX

johnreef

KEH is offering the 503CW WWL finder in EX condition for $1035.

The 503CX WWL in EX condition is only $484. Can someone please

thell me why there is such a large difference in price? What are

the fundamental differences between these two camera bodies?

The 503cw has the gliding mirror system, which prevents vignetting (minor) with long lenses and ext. tubes. Both have TTL flash metering. Depending on the age of the 503cw, you may get a greater TTL metering range. The 503cw accepts the current winder, the 503cx does not-- The 503cxi, however does. There are a few minor differences, the shutter button on the 503cw is changed, simplified (or cheapened). The 503cw also lacks the body cocked indicator, which is really of little use (look through the prism/WLF-- if you can see, it's cocked, if its black, its not-- simple).

<P>Maybe somebody else can fill in other differences, these are all that Im aware of.

<P> If youre not going to be using the winder, or 180 and up lenses, I would suggest the 503cx.

All Hasselblad 500 series cameras use lens leaf shutters. That is one of their enduring

qualities. The 503cw is a current model, the 503cx is a couple of model generations

older. Pricing is as much a factor of demand, seller's inventory and whatnot. Make sure

you know that the camera body you are buying has the latest focusing screen.

The 503cw body accepts an accessory winder; if you are not buying one of those, then it is

no issue. The only other improvement is the GMS ("Gliding-Mirror System") for eliminating

viewfinder vignetting with longer focal length (250mm+) lenses. I am not sure whether

the 503cx, the 503cxi or both have this improvement; the 503cw definitely does. If you

are not planning on getting a telephoto, then this is also moot.

There is a rear body curtain that closes to protect the film plane from stray light when the

shutter is open and the slide removed. That is in the location where a focal plane shutter

would otherwise be.

If you have never handled a 500-series Hasselblad, I suggest you at least try to rent one

before buying. It is a very manual experience; the WLF takes a little getting used to if you

have never used a TLR or other camera with a waistlevel. The image is left-right reversed

and upright, and the image brightness is less than that you might be accustomed to from

a pentaprism. You will need to meter manually unless you are buying a metered prism

viewfinder.