michael_poster

My wife and I will be travelling in northern NM and the Four Corners

area end of May and early in June. She'll be painting and I'll be

making photos.

We'd like to plan a route from Albuquerque through Santa Fe to the

Four Corners, and back through Taos. I sure would like any

recommendations for great locations and photo/painting opportunities

along the way.

Michael I've traveled lightly in that area and what impressed me where I was, was the Rio Grande outside Taos and the Taos ski resort up top on the mountain. There is a Pueblo in Taos but shooting there may present a problem. I liked the woods around that whole area up there, especially around Angel Fire. I traveled west thru Pagosa Springs in Colorado to Durango, but your not going that way. I look forward to other answers.

Chaco Canyon National Historical Park about 1+ hrs south of Farmington,NM which is straight east of Shiprock, NM. If you're into Anasazi ruins and culture, this is a very impressive area to spend a day or two. Also the Bisti Badlands, about 30 minutes south of Farmington, requires some hiking to see the best stuff but at sunset can be otherworldly (hoodoos,etc)

If you start in Albuquerque, go west on I-40 to Thoreau (pronounced "threw" in NM). Turn north on state road 371. This will take you through Chaco Canyon. After Chaco, continue north on 371 to Farmington and it will take you through the Bisti Badlands. Once you are at Farmington, there are a number of different routes. You could go to Aztec Ruins in Aztec, NM. Then to Bloomfied and across 64 to Chama then to Tierra Amarilla to Tres Piedras then to Taos-- OR --

West at Farmington to Shiprock then to Cortez, CO and then to Mesa Verde. Back to Durango, over to Pagosa Springs, back down to Chama (there are steam trains in both Durango and Chama). You could then go to Antonito CO, then over to the Great Sand Dunes. Back down through San Luis to Taos, down to Santa Fe and then down north 14 (they changed the road number to 357 but we all know it's north 14)to ABQ - Heck - look at a map!

Don't forget the Abiquiu - Ghost Ranch area between Espanola

and Chama. The Chama River valley between Abiquiu Res. and

the moanstery is also particularly nice. Try the Bisti badlands

south of Farmington. The high road between Chama and Taos

(Hwy 64) is great.

Steve

Try the Rio Grande overlook in White Rock near Los Alamos at sunset. Also Bandelier National Monument (I haven't been there since the fire but I don't think the actual park itself suffered much from that incident). You will find something around every turn which will be photogenic. I love this area. I used to go there once or twice a year. Oh, yeah...while you're in the area of Bandelier, drive up into the Jemez Mountains by Valle Grande. Don't miss Chaco or the pueblos.