Long exposure film

peter_muller1

I will be vacationing overseas next month and anticipate a number of

situations where I will need to use exposures of 5-60 seconds (for

400 speed film). Are there any film types/brands in either

transparency or negative that are especially tolerant of longer

exposures without special color balancing filters? Thanks.

Second the nod to provia for transparencies.

Velvia is good for firworks and stuff to keep saturation and use longer exposures for

trails. (5-10 second multiple pops.) I wanna catch lightning with it. Did it before

with plain old s-100 print and it works.

I would say even Fuji's specs on reciprocity failure for Provia are a bit conservative, and may be fine for exposures much longer than specified (several minutes or longer). In my experience, there has been absolutely no color shift. My experience with Reala in this respect (or superia-reala, for that matter, as I'm assuming you're referring to 35mm) has been decent, but not as good as Provia. Some of my best shots with Provia have in fact been very long exposures in the dark.

Out of curiosity, what are you taking pictures of that requires such long exposures?

This will be 120 film, not 35mm. I have a Linhof Technorama 617S with a wide-angle 72mm Super Angulon XL lens. The Schneider wide-angle requires a center density filter that reduces exposure by 1.5 stops. Hope to take some indoor available light shots as part of a barge trip through Burgundy.