D70 particulars

stephen_schumacher

Hi Folks,

Like a lot of other people I'm drooling, looking at Digital SLR's. I

typically shoot my F-100, but man that D70 jumps out at you for the

price. What bugs me is not finding any good sales people to ask

questions to or finding one in a store to play with. I have played

with the D-100 a bit. So to anyone who has actually bought one of the

D70's could y'all answer a few questions.

Looking at Nikon's website, I find that the D-70 has both slow sync

and rear syn modes. I also find that D70 is supposed to have a

continuous tracking auto focus mode. However the one D70 I did manage

to look at, didn't have a slow sync mode and also only had a manual

and auto focus modes. Is there some menu setup or SB800 setup mode to

get other than just rear sync and red eye reduction? Also is there

some way to set up the sutofocus mode for continuous tracking mode as

opposed to single autofocus mode. Admittedly, on my F-100 I rarely

use the continuous autofocus mode.

Another question is compatibility of lenses and flash. I have a 80DX

flash and according to the sales people, the TTL flash mode on the

D70 won't work with the 80DX. I would have to use the flash in the

manual mode (or aperture priority mode). Also would the DX series

lens that comes with the D70 kit be compatible with my F-100?

Steve

> didn't have a slow sync

Didn't look hard enough. Hold the flash release button and roll the main command dial; "Slow" will appear in the top LCD. Rear will show as both "Rear" and "Slow."

AF-single versus continuous is a CSM.

You're right about the flash, and no, the 18-70 wouldn't be fully "compatible" - it works, but you get some really funky vignetting. You could crop it and end up with about the same number of pixels with a 2700dpi scan.

Single biggest annoyance of D70: DOF preview button does NOT work with MF lenses. I'm hoping for a firmware update.

All details are clearly explained in the manual (available for download on the Nikon support web site).

The AF modes are very complete, indeed. AF single, continous, close-subject, tracking options etc.

The flash system ... Well, Nikon changed again the rules of the game. For the last time, they say ... Forget about the DX series if you want to benefit from the new i-TTL (à la D2H), only available with the new SB-600/800. Also describe at length in the D70 manual.

Otherwise a very friendly and attractive body, resourceful.

<<according to the sales people, the TTL flash mode on the D70 won't work with the 80DX. I would have to use the flash in the manual mode (or aperture priority mode). >>

A small point, Stephen... the SB-80DX would work in (M)anual and (A)uto mode on your D70 (the A stands for Auto flash, not aperture priority). So you can figure out the flash calculations yourself for manual mode work, or you can let the flash itself do the calculating in (A)uto mode.

You get no options for having the D70 handle the calculations because it does not support through-the-lens control with accessory flashes except the new SB-800 and upcoming SB-600.

Yes, that's a bummer.

Have fun,

Yes, but rumor has it that you need to be in front of the camera to operate it (similar to N65). With a cable release you get to stand behind the camera... where most photographers would prefer to be. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of logistics. If the optical remote sensor is/were located on the back of the camera... that could be an attractive setup (complete mechanical isolation).

I have the remote for this camera, Greg. It works from behind the camera as long as you're within 12-15 inches....and even or slightly above the viewfinder.

<p>

I've taken a few candid shots using the remote, and its worked out well.

<p>

Another nice feature is that the built-in flash triggers my tiny SB-30 flash without the need for any cables. I've been dialing down the built-in flash to -2, holding the SB-30 out to the side, and slightly above my subject, and firing away...works great.

The slow synch modes are great. There are two of them!

Not only is there a traditional slow sync mode, there is also a option that allows slow sync (with a minimum that you set) even when you're not in slow sync mode.

For example, you can specify that the flow fire as slowly as, say, 1/10 of sec, even when not in slow synch.

Love the camera but:

- The remote is theoretical: not available (everyone has dozens on back order). Same for speedlight 600 flash.

- The lack of flash meting unless you use an expensive 800 or (non-avaailable) 600 speedlight would have been a showstopper for me (now to use studio flash followers I need to do manual metering: not usually an option as I work with mix of outside/flash light).

- Why are all the controls and lens mounts left-to-right reversed? Must be Nikon peculiarity (I changed from Olympus and Canon).

- Software silly. "You can only install this once on one computer only, ever". Who do they think they are? Also, PS elements to full PS upgrade is $499! Hardly Nikon's fault I suppose, but still, it makes the package less attractive (and piracy more so).

Minor quiblles all but they needed to be stated for completeness.

Michael

All else OK, nice camera

Michael

<i>The remote is theoretical: not available...</i>

<i>I bought mine from Adorama about 2 weeks ago. They've been available long before the D70 was announced</i>

<P>

Thanks for your reaction. Unfortunately, now in Canada everyone is telling me they are not. Blacks. Henry's, several others. If they are available in the USAm or if they were available in the past, that does not help me here and now. I am doign a shoot tomorrow without one - meaning time release for lal pics, very redious.

Oh yeah. They are in short supply and I was told today that Nikon is doing inventory now. They will be on a container out a sea most likely today. I finally found one on ebay and paid 35 total (S&H) to get it. It's tiny. easy to lose and I need to order a couple spares.<BR><BR><B>Distance:</B><BR>

Take the remote outside and make sure that there are no reflective surfaces :-). Y'all are testing inside so the IR bounces off something in front of the camera. Or point the camera right into the sofa and walk behind it. Not much range here. I'm trying to figure out if there is a simple way to attach a tiny periscope/prism/something that looks back over the camera. I have tested it to 50 feet on a cloudy day outside in front of the camera. <BR><BR> Can you train an IR remote? Would be simple enought to use a 10 dollar TV remote if I could train one. Plus I wouldn't worry about losing it.