Where do you keep your precious dev. negativ?

ivan_g

Hi guys & girls.

We spend a lot of money on quality photoequipment. M4:s, M6:s, MP:S

Crons, Lux:s an so on. Quite nice and the best gear there is?

But....how do You keep your quality negatives? In a drawer in the

bedroom? In a shelf i the livingroom?

Well, not the best place.

Keep it cool.

/Ivan G (of sweden)

I picked up a really nice <a href="http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=71774&PRODID=70539&FEEDCNT=3">inexpensive transparent binder</a> from The Container Store, which I highly recommend. It also has a zipper around it to make sure nothing falls out and a convenient handle at the top. Pro grade PrintFile archival preservers for 35mm and 6x4.5 negs fits perfectly in there along with the contact sheets. Very pleased that I finally found a workable and inexpensive system.

I used to use binders, but soon ran into problems. I would take the negatives out, and not put them back. It also required several binders. I've found using a filing cabinet alot easier. I can quickly pull the negative I need. Print film makes hanging rods that slide threw the edge of the negative sleeve allowing the negatives to hang in place.

For many years I used Savage glassines but they're getting harder to find so I'm now cutting sections from a long roll of "Print File Archival" which is cheaper than individual envelopes. I save used 8.5x11 and 9x12 manila envelopes, and cut and glue them to make two envelopes, open on one end, to hold 10 glassines, one strip of negatives per glassine (or plastic) sleeve. I print 5 strips per contact sheet. A piece of black tape on the glass leaves a white area at one end. Using a Sanford Sharpie marker I number the strip sleeves and the strips on the contact sheet. The manila envelopes get numbered (21,301 ~ 21,310 for instance) and both contacts and envelopes are at least dated, but might contain more info also.

I use 8x10 paper boxes, 250 or 500 sheet size, to store 100 contact sheets on top of 100 manila envelopes, which are on edge in the box. The boxes are numbered and dated. The boxes are on shelves stored in the darkroom.

I suppose "acid free" would be best, but the negs don't really touch anything directly but the sleeves. At this point I've had no problems.

Some of the really old (early 1960's) glassines have yellowed a bit but so far the negatives print and look OK. Use care and scratches aren't a problem. I've never had a static problem, but it's so humid here in South Florida!

I use Calumet neg files, 5 frames a strip and put each neg file with it's

proofsheet in 10 x 13 manila envelopes with the date, subject etc. and file

them by subject ie: travel, portraits, place (Yemen) etc. and then they are

placed in filing cabinets. Also the year/month /day the photos were taken. If I

need more info I write it also on the manila envelope... names etc. Everything

is stored in my studio area which is a moderate temperature. the same

system is used for 6x6 and 4x5.

I use archival storage supplies from Light Impressions. Cut roll into strips of 6, strips

go in individual plastic sleeves, set of 6 sleeves goes into small index-tabbed

envelope (one per roll), 50 envelopes go into card stock box. Boxes store efficiently

on bookcase shelves in my office, which has decent air circulation. I just number

each roll sequentially as it is processed, so every image has a unique identifier roll-

frame number. I use the same folder and numbering system for my computer image

files. Raw scans and improved images go into folders organized by roll number. Real

or virtual contact sheets are marked with the unique roll number. Prints are marked

with the roll-frame identifer (on the back). Conventional B&W negs are very stable if

processed correctly, but color negs benefit a lot from low humidity, low temp, dark

conditions.

In my little free time I help a local museum. I like a challenge.

They had 4 historically important photos. Well they didn't actually

have them. They didn't have the negatives either. These were all

destroyed in a house fire in the 70's. What they gave me were 4

Xerox copies of the prints that were made in the 60's. Photoshop

is amazing.

Back to the subject. The Museum gave me a catalogue. I bought

the archival holders for 8 x10, 4 x 5, 120 and 35 mm and the

boxes to hold and index them. It has worked great. I also keep

the house at 68 F and 38% humidity year round. I don't

remember the name of the company but your local museum will

be able to help you.

Art