Shintaro Repaint Question

I have a late M2 (KS15-4) that I'm considering having Shintaro (in

Japan) paint. I've had some initial communication with him, but I

wanted to see if I could get some feedback from anyone who has

actually used him. I'm curious how he handles the centerpiece on

the back door without destroying the vulcanite. Does he replace the

vulcanite there or does he salvage it somehow? Does anyone know of

any alternative to Shintaro? Any comments would be appreciated.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Bill, Shintaro's work is top notch from the examples, I've seen. My question to you is if you have a real KS15-4 camera, have to checked out its collector value? You may be able to get another camera and payless out of your pocket for the paint job.... Happy Snaps, Sal

This is a "real" KS15-4 that I got recently for a very good price; I don't think the store knew what they had. It's actually in pretty good shape considering it spent some time in Vietnam. My plan (for now) is to keep it and use it, but I would like to restore it, if I can. I�m actually considering a gray hammertone finish.

– Yogi Berra

Bill,

I'd have this camera's value assessed. It sounds it has historical value as well as pure collector value.

Shintaro does very good work.

I have a thing about original black collector Leicas that look shredded after years of use. The humane thing to do is restore their paint, even though the collector value goes down. But in your case, I'd sell it to a collector and use the money to get a plain M2 and have it painted.

One thing you ought to know about. There is a list of Leica serial numbers indicating whether the camera was painted (and what color) or chrome.

Some day Shintaro-paint Leicas may be collectors items. Who knows?

Shintaro removes the vulcanite from the back door by melting the adhesive. Since the

vulcanite is already 40+ years old there is a significant chance that it will crumble to bits

during the process in which case he will replace it with new covering. My advice is to have

him leave the back door alone.

The M2 KS15-4 has the rapid loading system (the first model to have it) and was produced by special order from the US military (I believe the Army) in 1966 for use in Vietnam. There were about 900 of these units produced. The M2-R was the "civilian" version produced later during the early M4 run (there were 2000 M2-R cameras produced). Every M since produced has this same loading system. The serial number on mine would indicate it was in the first of two runs.

I got this camera for about what one would expect to pay for a regular M2 in this serial number range in similar condition. So it makes little sense to sell it in order to get a regular M2 as some of you are suggesting. I don�t need to get the camera appraised because I know very well what it�s worth.

I may not have it painted for the very reason of posterity. But I plan to keep the camera. Therefore, why shouldn't I have done to it as I wish and use it to my heart's content? I would rather "degrade the value" by having it painted, or God forbid, by actually using it, rather than seeing it sitting on some collector's shelf just for him or her to fondle from time-to-time.

Leica's are beautiful machines, but they were made to take pictures.

– Yogi Berra

I bought my M2-R new when first released the year after I bought an M4. The M2-R was a fantastic deal at $375.00 including a 50mm dual range Summicron. The M4 body alone had been $288.00 new. In '86 the M4 was stolen but the M2-R is still taking photos and earning its keep. Occasionally I'll be on assignment and hear the familiar sound of an incredulous voice saying "Is than an M2-R?" followed by "How much do you want for it?" The offers keep getting more tempting, especially when I say that I still have the original box and paperwork. This is a camera with dings and brassing, new Leitz vulcanite at one point, and early M4-P frame lines (full size but including the 28mm frame)installed during a Leitz CLA. It's very much a "user". I'd never consider getting a paint job on it! If I ever were to NEED a black camera I have my Leica CL or Bessa L. Crap! They're all just tools. Use 'em and enjoy!

Bill : Quite right. It's your camera. Do with it what makes you happy. Just make sure you will have no regrets later.

I know Shintaro. He is a good guy and a good craftsman.

Actually, why shouldn't old peely vintage Ms be repainted? Classic cars are repainted, aren't they?

"Leica's are beautiful machines, but they were made to take pictures."

Very true Mike, and you do what you want with it. I guess people were just incredulous that you should devalue it in restoration by more than it would cost to buy a regular beater M2 to have painted black. A bit like buying a Ferrari then putting a Ford engine in, because its more economical, perhaps? To my mind though if the camera is just a machine to take pictures the finish shouldn't matter, so why not cover it in black tape instead and get the best of both worlds?

I've thought about having my chrome M2 painted, but ultimately I decided not to. On the one hand, it would look great; but on the other, I think I would have a sense of loss. It's been with me for many years, since about 1961 or so; a companion through life. I have several black chrome Leicas. When I use the M2, the bright finish feels right for it, even though I like black on other Leicas. After all, I have had it so long. As the Tiffany's salesman said to Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" "It gives one a sense of continuity, almost of solidarity with the past."

Thanks for all your input. Although I didn't get the response I asked for in every case, you guys have essentially talked me into leaving the camera as is. I do intend, however, to get the rangefinder overhauled (it's that dingy yellow right now).

You guys all sound like me (the consummate purist)! Even a guy in my office (who knows nothing of this stuff) told me I should leave it alone.

– Yogi Berra