Phillips Cameras? Info. needed please

jon_doe4

Hi,

I am interested in the Phillips 8x10 camera (compact II). Does

anyone know pricing information? Contact information for Dick

Phillips? Or if he/they are making cameras anymore?

I tried emailing him: rhphill@concentric.net but the email was

returned and it was not a valid address. thanks in advance!

In the same ballpark for weight and functionality (the more bells and whistle, the more weight...)

I'd say either the Gandolfi Variant 8x10 or the Canham metal

or, for even less weight and even fewer bells and whistles (and less $).... the Gowland ultralight 8x10 thingy

I wouldn't call it a "second choice" since that sounds a little denigrating but I'd look closely at the Wehman as an alternative to the Phillips. The Wehman has received excellent reviews from users (of which I'm not one). It weighs about the same as the lightest Phillips (8 lbs or so), costs about the same maybe a little less ($1,900 or so though when I last talked with Bruce he had a demo available for $1,400), has a longer bellows than at least some of the Phillips cameras (30 inches or so), and may have more movements though I'm not sure of that.

I spoke with Dick Phillips about six months ago. I tried to get my name on the list. However, he wouldn't add my name to the list until he had sent me some literature as I had only seen the 4x5 version. Never saw the literature he was supposed to send. I'll have the money saved up in June and I'm going to buy a Canham metal.

On a side note, Dick Phillips didn't sound like he really wanted to sell me a camera. After talking with him I'm glad that I'm getting a Canham. Keith's reputation as a person who is happy to answer questions is totally true. Furthermore, the possibility of getting replacement parts is much more likely with a canham camera.

"I spoke with Dick Phillips about six months ago. I tried to get my name on the list. However, he wouldn't add my name to the list until he had sent me some literature as I had only seen the 4x5 version"

probably, because at that time he was advertising that he wasn't taking any orders at all.

I've always found Dick very personable and helpful - spare parts are no problem - though you rarely need them with a Phillips.

"After talking with him I'm glad that I'm getting a Canham. Keith's

reputation as a person who is happy to answer questions is totally true.

Furthermore, the possibility of getting replacement parts is much more likely

with a canham camera."

A shame, becuase for it's purposes, it's just not as good a camera. Heavier and nowhere near as rigid. It's good, but the Phillips is in another league really. As attested to, among other things, by the number of well known photographers who use them

I emailed Dr. Phillips sometime in October 2003. Dr. Phillips said that he was not taking orders then and to email him again in December 2003. I did that. Meanwhile, he posted a brochure to me. Dr. Phillips told me in December 2003 that he would be taking orders in January 2004 and said that he would be emailing me again to confirm if he should put my name on his list in January 2004. He said that it was okay if I changed my mind. In January 2004, I received that email from him. However, due to a sudden family need for funds, I was out of coin and could not place my name on his list. Dr. Phillips was understanding and kind. He said that it was not a problem, wished me well and said that he hoped that I would consider his camera again when I had enough funds to purchase an 8x10. Subsequently, he emailed me his change in email address.

I have had a pleasant experience dealing with Dr. Phillips. He was always patient with my technical questions. I found him to be a man of honor and integrity.