Infrared film with the N90s and F100

nikon geek

I call mine Bob and Doug. ;)

Seriously, the offending type are infrared LED counters. Basically they use IR light transmission (doesn't expose normal film) to count the sprocket holes and tell the motors how much to advance and when to stop. A mechanical advance (for lack of a better term) just "knows" how far to advance the film and doesn't expose film with light of any wavelength.

Sorry I don't have the first clue what kind of advance these cameras have so I can't help there. Often, even on cameras with this type of advance, the effect is limited only to the sprocket holes and doesn't show in the image frame.

Neither the F100 nor the N90(s)/F90(x) use IR but rather the customary gear driven sprocket wheel to control film advance.

---

My guess is that cameras that fog IR film use a diode that emits only IR (infrared light) then a sensor, an SPD that senses IR. SPD (silicone photo diodes) used in light meters have a blue filter (SBC, silicone blue cell) that cuts IR. An SPD without this filter should work. This IR system counts the sprocket holes needed to advance the film one frame. The use of IR with films that are not sensitive to IR posses no problems. The reason for using IR is to cut the cost of the camera both in parts and assembly.

Hope this helps,

Dave.