CDR's DVD's and Workflow?

e.m.

Just wondering about everyones workflow using PS CS. Where do you

start? How do you organize your images? Saving to Tiff or JPG? If

you use Tiff do you compress them? Burning the images on CDR or DVD

and why? Which do you give the client?

First, the camera organizes the images if it's digital. I set it to continuous numbering and

leave it there. I shoot all weddings using RAW camera settings.

I then create a desktop folder labeled with the date first, and then the couple's names.

So dates being first are the organizational filing system. I keep all my wedding CDs/DVDs

organized by date.

I then download all the CF cards into that one file. It doesn't matter if the cards are out of

order since they'll load in order into the file according to each individual file number. ( top

menu: View > Arrange > By Name).

If I am also scanning film, I create a sub folder labeled "scans". I just leave the scan

number as the organizational mode in that file.

I now copy that whole original RAW file to a stand alone 250 Gig hard Drive, and then

disconnect it from the system, or burn a DVD, before clearing any of the CF Cards.

I open the PSCS file browser and select that desktop folder. First order of business is to

trash all the junk and slim down the file.

I do not rotate images IF I am going to batch correct using an Action so I can also change

the size or resolution.

For weddings I make contact sheets and skip the batch correction Action method. I just

go through the Browser contents and correct any dark images or color temp issue and

rotate images. If there are a bunch of similar corrections, I use the "Apply Previous

Correction" command.

While still in the Browser window, I go to the top right menu and select > Automate >

Contact Sheet II; and let the computer create as many 13X19 contact sheets that are

necessary to show every numbered image in that folder. Then all those 13X19 contact

sheets are sent to the printer to print on Epson Matte Paper so clients can write on it and

handle it without smudges.

Now every image worth keeping has been printed big enough to select from. If I am

building the album, I select 40 to tell the progressive story of the couple's wedding and

correct them for enlargements. Those are saved as Tiffs uncompressed because I may

open and close them a number of times during the process of balancing color one print to

the next. J-Pegs lose information each time you open and close them. Tiffs do not.

1. Backup the original JPEGs (CD or DVD). I carry a small JOBO Apacer, which allows me to backup for CDR on site without.

2. I've tried various image management programs but went back to Nikon View 6. I create a folder for each lighting situation (i.e., church, reception, outdoor groups, etc.), as well as a folder for bad exposures. Then I move the images into the appropriate folders.

3. I open the PSCS browser, select one image from a folder, start recording a new action, and I apply sharpening, curves, etc, and save as Tiff. Then I run a batch for the folder with its action, and rename the images with the client name, image number, folder name, and extension.

4. After running a batch for each folder, I create a proof sheet for each folder and print it on my Epson 2200.

5. Finally, I create a web gallery, which I have customized to include coding for my shopping cart.

If a client has purchased the rights to images, I provide a CDR or DVD (whichever will accomodate the data), and I give them the batched Tiffs.

If they are receiving a proof disc, I simply take the web gallery that I created and burn it to a CDR. The images will be JPEGs, and this allows the client to order prints through the CD when they are online. The discs are locked to prevent copying and printing.

I use a workflow similar to Marc's above and the one posted on <a href="http://www.planetneil.com">PlanetNeil.com</a>. I shoot primarily raw NEFs (some JPGs), on no less than 6 CF cards. After a shoot I upload them via Nikon Browser, which renames with a unique, sequential number. I then copy the uploaded files to a 2nd hard drive. Then I burn a set of CDs (soon to be DVDs) of untouched images on the backup HD files. <p>When I start editing, I do it in 3 waves: first, cull through the entire set and mark my "Selects" with a tag in Nikon View. These are then moved to a new folder, rotated, and prepared for editing. Then I edit: I try to edit all files in batches, using Nikon Capture and the Tools/Batch mode, to work faster and preserve layers for lossless re-edits. After this batch edit of the rotated Selects, I then copy the "Selects" folder to the backup HD. I then burn another set of CDs of the edited Select files. None of these have been into PS yet... <p>It is from these edited Select NEFs that I create JPGs for proofs. I run a batch conversion with Nikon View that converts all to sRGB, in original resolution. THese files are then used to prepare web gallery proofs and/or print 11x14 contact sheets (5x5 rows with Nikon View). <p>Once an image is selected for an enlargement or album, I'll make additional edits in PS if necessary, saving as PSDs to store with the NEFs, and converting to JPGs for proofs or TIFs for proofs/archiving.