645 Opinions please

johnmarkpainter

I am interested in getting a small 645 camera.

I am aware of the Fuji GS645. Are the older Folding models the one to get? I just saw a

shot of Helmut Newton using one :)

I don't care about interchangeable lenses. Just interested in the concept of larger Film in a

portable camera.

What else should I look into? Meters are a nice feature but I am used to shooting without

them (Leica/Rolleiflex/Hassy).

Thanks,

jmp

The earlier Fuji models, which are entirely mechanical, except for an exposure meter, are excellent cameras. Mine is the wide-angle with 45mm lens, equivalent to about 28mm on 135 film. I have used it as a travel camera. It's lightweight and convenient for that purpose, when one focal length suffices.

Bronica also makes a 645 rangefinder. Another great way to get a small MF

camera is to look at twin-lens reflex cameras (almost all 6x6). You can get a

good used Yashicamat, Rolleicord, or Minolta Autocord for around $200, and

they have great optics. They are very easy to handhold, and the waist level

viewing makes them great for street shooting. I would look at TLRs before

looking at the older folders.

I just got a GS645, and love it. But you have the shutter speed, aperture and focus rings close to each other. I also found out that the sticking shutter is a problem in this model, so do look out for that. And look for clean bellows. You should be able to look at how your bellows fold when the camera is folded-- by opening the back. Watch out also for peeling foam.

GS645 has a well defined procedure to fold it. Ignore it and the camera can get damaged.

The camera overall is a real gem. I am in general not enamoured by Fuji cameras' Rangefinder mechanism. You might find a better rangefinder in Leica I guess (I have not used a leica ever..). Fuji lenses are well known for the optics. This 75mm lens does not have a filter ring, but needs a shade which clips on to the lens. The filters can be attached to this shade.

GS645 is going to be my travel companion. Do look at Mamiya 6. The lens collapses into the body a bit, and that is nice.

The Fuji folders are great travel companions. Once you get the feel for them, they are quick to focus and the lens is a real sleeper. I also have the Bronica RF645 system and generally am pleased with it but I didn't gain any optical advantage over the little Fuji and I find the Fuji rangefinder basically just as capable (perhaps from familiarity over the years)... Others have mentioned the key spots to watch on individual cameras when you're shopping and there's always Camera Wiz if you need a CLA, repair or bellows on the Fuji.

"Are the older Folding models the one to get?"

If you're talking about folders from the 40's or 50's the answer's no. They're delightful for occasional use if you're lucky enough to get a good one, but the majority have faults (often difficult to spot) that mean they're not a smart buy as a picture taking tool.

The GS645 folder is from 1982 or so: 75mm f/3.8 (or so) lens. The non-folding GS645S is a year or two later: 60mm f/4.0 lens. The GS645S is light, the meter works well, the lens outrageously sharp. The viewfinder's excellent but the rangefinder is a bit hard to see some times. Rumor has it that both these cameras are a tad fragile: one may want to look into a hard protective case of some sort if one is backpacking or biking.

Also check out the GW690III or GSW690III for really large film. At a tad over 1400 gm, they're a bit lighter than a Hassy.