width, height and resolution) to get images the perfect size for

print in Photoshop 7. The images from my D100 are approximatly 6" by

10" I cropp them to the size that I need for printing, but this means

getting rid of some of the the detail that I would like to keep in

the picture, which I really don't like to do. I have also tried to

set the with or height with the constraint proportions checked in

photoshop's image size menu, but this won't give me the perfect print

size. Is there a setting on the D100 that will let me change the

image's output size from approximatly 6" by 10" to a much bigger size?

Thanks for any input that you may have!

Danny

<p>You're not going be able to make a 6x10 without cropping because the CCD produces a 1:1.5 ratio image size (the same as 35 mm), which means you'll end up with a 6.7x10 with the aspect ration contrained and no cropping.</p>

You can go to a bigger print size by going to <EM>Image->Image size</EM>, making sure that <EM>Resample Image</EM> is <B>not</B> checked, and typing in a new width or height. Note that the resolution figure will change when you do this because, since you're not resampling, you're not really changing anything in the image except some numbers to tell the printer what size to print. You still have the same number of pixels in each dimension and the printer is just spreading them out farther, hence fewer pixels/inch.</P>

<P>Hope that helps!</P>

Well, what size r u trying to get?

image from d100 or most dslr is 2000 x 3000 pixel, or 1488 x 2240 pixel, both sizes are the same ratio which is 2:3, the same as 35mm film. if u print 4x6, nothing is cropped, u get everything, because 4x6 ratio is 2:3, same thing with 8x12, 12x18, 20x30. but if you print 5x7, it is not 2:3 ratio. If u want 1 side to be 5 in, so the other side must be= 5x 3/2 = 7.5

that means, if u print 5x7, u lose 0.5 in of your pic. that is why i always print 4x6 or 8x12 from costco, never 5x7 nor 8x10, because i don't like cropping unless I want it.

hope this help...

cheers........

The procedure is to first crop the image to the desired ratio as dictated by your print size (8x10, 5x7 etc). Using the rectangular marquee tool with a fixed ratio is easiest. (I'm not a fan of the cropping tool)

Then you need go image, image size and type in the desired document size. If you don't want to change the actual size of the image in pixels, you should uncheck "resample image". If you do wish to resample to a specific ppi for printing (e.g. 300ppi) then enter the desired value.