Colorado in May...travelling across the Rockies

gary_g1

I'm plannning a trip to Moab in mid-May, and am thinking about going

through Denver first, then west along the Interstate towards Grand

Junction. I believe I will be crossing high elevations....how are

the roads/snow conditions in the Rockies?

If I may piggy-back here...

I'm also going to Moab, but taking a connecting flight from Denver to Grand Junction then driving to Moab. Am I correct that this stretch of road should have no problems the last week in April?

Gary - HUGE amount of photo advice here on photo.net about sites in Arches and Canyonlands. Also I found a list of the best times to shoot (not here) at some of the more famous vistas in the Moab area but I didn't bookmark it. I think I found it as a link from a general what-to-do-around-Moab kinda' site. I know it had "photography" in its title on that site.

As per previous posters, road conditions from Denver to Moab during May should be fine. Depending on your desires, you might consider yourself lucky to come around a late season mountain snow - it really adds to the scenic values. But aside from that rare possibility at Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel / Loveland Pass, you'll have smooth sailing. My wife and I travel from Denver to Utah almost every year in May for vacations - we have yet to encounter any problems. If the weather's nice and you have the time, take Loveland Pass instead of going through the tunnel - it's pretty scenic up there.

<p>

For the other poster - Grand Junction to Moab will average in the 70s during the day in May. The road is largely flat, with some rolling hills out in the Utah desert before the Cisco exit (Utah 128).

<p>

For photo timing, try my one long-ago attempt at a travelogue - <a href="http://www.faerealm.com/Reality/Utah/ArchesNP/photo.html">Arches National Park - Photo Tips</a>. It needs a bit of an update to add more info, but it covers some good ground.