What is this Leica M?

r_quan

It's cobbled together from different Leica-M cameras and seems to be relisted for sale every week, until some sucker pays the high reserve.

Quite often there are bodies for sale "for parts" and some enterprising scheister appears put have it together.

Do you feel lucky? If so, put a high bid.

I agree with Vic. It�s built from an assemblage of M parts. It's definitely a black re-paint over an originally chrome finish. The sr. number has either been filled in before the repaint, or it's a new top. And since it has no self-timer, it's most likely built on an M2 chassis.

Either way, it really pisses me off when I see these sellers go on like they don�t know what they have. Fodder for the gullible!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Well . . .

The seller has only two negative feedbacks out of 388 transactions; as both a buyer and a seller; one of which was after he backed out of a purchase when he felt it was a scam. Looks like a good track record to me.

He probably really doesn't know what it is. I agree, it could be an M2 with an M4 replacement top plate. I have asked him to search for the serial number under the metal plate under the shutter crate. We'll see if he does.

I agree it could be an M2X. Jim Lager has a picture of one. However, I think it could also be an MDa lower body. Notice that the rewind lever has a square tip. I don't think there were any M2's like that. However the MDa has no selftimer, and does have the square tip, as do later Leicas. I've asked the seller if it has the rapid loading system. So we'll see.

It could be a legitimate upgrade job. I was talking to a chap at the London Collector's Fair last year and he had a chrome M2 which had been upgraded to M4 spec by Leitz in the late 'sixties. Whether they did black paint I don't know.

Bill, yes I do think they could have scrounged a newer RW lever. And to think it's an M2X is probably a cleaner hypothesis than MDa. A selector could be added to an MDa, though. An even better hypothesis is that it's an M4 that was made without a selftimer, and that the top plate was replaced; and it was given an M2 winding lever and frame selector lever. I say this because it has so many M4 parts, including the frame lines, rewind crank, back door, and loading system.

I'd guess a fairly decent percentage of 50's through 70's M bodies have had "upgrades", from adding a self timer, updating the frame lines to M4P, changing the ceramic pressure plate to metal, converting double stroke to single, to replacing the synch sockets with M4 style PC sockets.

Not that I�m trying to be contentious or think this is worth getting into, but how many M4 cameras do you suppose were produced without a self timer? I'll tell you number is around 12 units. So it's very unlikely an M4 chassis. The top plate (and rangefinder) is most definitely from an M4 (I think we�re all in agreement about that). If it's a miss-mash of parts (which it most definitely is), why are you assuming since it�s an M4 top plate, it must follow it belongs with the chassis? Why would you assume since it doesn�t have a hot shoe, it couldn�t be an M4-2 chassis? The only reason I don�t think it�s an M4-2 chassis is the chrome posts (most M4-2 cameras were produced in black chrome). The old back plates are readily available and will work on any M camera. You might as well assume since is has an M2/3 frame selector, it must be constructed from an M2. And it�s as likely an MDa chassis with a frame preview selector added as an M2 chassis with the rapid loading system added from an M4. It�s anybody�s guess!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

These are points well taken. Our concensus seems to be that it could have been done in more than one way, and we've gone as far as we can with it. Still, it's fun, so I just asked Sherry to take a look. If she gets time, maybe we will find out something.

Back before the Leitz heirs sold the farm it was possible to return a camera to Wetzlar for all manner of upgrades and repairs. It is not surprising that from time to time strange combinations spawned in that era show up on the used market so don't dismiss it as a fake or recombined fantasy just because it doesn't conform to catalog specs.