Yashica Mat-How to use a cable release.

mary_bartlett

I just sold my 30-year-old Mat, which I hadn't used for 20 years; so I can't verify

this, but I assume you've found that there's no hole in the shutter button to

screw a cable release into. I believe, though, that there is a collar around the

button that's threaded outside. It accepts either a special cable release or an

adapter that has an opening for a standard cable release. I have an adapter I'll

mail you if your camera shop can't come up with the cable or the adapter. Just

e-mail me.

Keith is correct - you should be able to buy an adapter which screws over the shutter release button and allows you to attach a "normal" cable release to your camera. The adapters apparently also work on some old Nikon and Leica cameras, I've heard them called a "Leica nipple". I recently purchased one new for cheap at the local camera store. Describe your problem and they can probably help you find one.

You can use any manual/auto flash with your camera, and the nice thing is that it will sync at any shutter speed. An old flash with PC connection, or a hot shoe to PC adapter, will allow you to use a flash with the Yashica Mat.

You really should use the search function of photo.net in the future - a quick search for something like "Yashica Mat flash", "TLR flash", or "Yashica Mat cable release" would have answered both your questions in less time than it took me to type out this reply.

To connect a cable release you need an adapter that threads over the shutter release. I believe that the some Nikon models need the same adapter. I paid $3.95 for mine. For the flash, the type of cord you need will depend on the flash you use. My flash doesn't have a pc socket so for about $10 I purchased a pc to hot shoe adapter. If your flash has a pc socket you may want to get a pc to pc cord.

You will need the adapter for the shutter release, mine came with a cable release which just snaps into place. I use a Vivitar 285 flash, this ore the 283 are excellent high output flashes which will work with a pc cord. I have a Vivitar handle and medium format base plate with a pc to hot shoe adapter permanently installed so that all I have to do is plug it in and use any standard hot shoe flash. I can send pictures of my setup if you need them.

Ira

Mary, a Nikon AR-2 cable release will fit the Yashica Mat. Unscrew and remove the ring around the shutter release before attaching the cable release.

To attach a flash, buy a hotshoe adaptor that comes along with a PC cord. Attach any lightweight hotshoe flash to the adaptor shoe and then to the camera's "cold-shoe". Connect the cord to the camera flash sync socket and you're ready to go. Remember to set the flash selector switch to "X". The "M" is for use with flashbulbs. For heavier hotshoe flashes, use a L-bracket.

• 6 months later...
Hello. I am glad everyone has given the correct input on getting the cable release. Bravo. I keep one handy at all times, but with my YashicaMat EM's (on a tripod of course), I perfer to use the self timer for ALL exposures up to 1 second. After this point, I will use my cable. It has a built-in lock and only needs to have a side-button pushed to release the shutter from the cable. Just remember, the Mat's need to have the flash sync in the " X " posistion for the timer to work (Ah you happy Mulder fans!!). Enjoy, Bill