I have a Nikon F4S which I commonly use a Nikon 80-200mm 2.8D ED Lens

(NOT the AF-S or AF-I model) I need to have something more telephoto

but since I can't afford the 400mm F2.8 or 600mm F4 lenses I plan to

use the 80-200mm with a 2x teleconverter. I've looked at some on Ebay

& B&H but am confused as to which one will suit my set up best. I do

want it to keep the AF function & do realise it will increase the

lens by 2 stops.

So my questions are:

1) Which Nikon 2x convertor will work keeping it AF?

2) Will it reduece the image by much?

3) Approx cost?

Thanks to all who reply...

Suggest you try the Kenko/Tamron 1.4x and 2x teleconverters -- same unit marketed by both companies although I think kenko actually makes the item. These units provide full AF and metering with the 80-200 f/2.8. <br><br>There is an excellent review of their function with your lens at

<a href="http://www.nikonlinks.com/lenstest.html">http://www.nikonlinks.com/lenstest.html </a> <BR><BR>

I believe I am correct in saying that Nikon does not make a TC that provides AF with this lens, except the no-longer-made TC-16A which is a great TC but provides useful but limited AF with this lens.

Certainly Nikon does not make anything as good as the Kenko/Tamron units at their price. I have the Kenko units and use them routinely with this lens and get results that duplicate the results described in the above review.

Since your lens is not an AF-S (or AF-I, but there has never been any AF-I 80-200), no Nikon telecovertor can maintain AF with that lens. The TC-301 will match your lens, but there is no AF and no electronic coupling; that is, the combo becomes the equivalent of an AI-S lens, but since you have an F4, you can still get matrix metering with it, along with center weighted and spot. An alternative is to use a TC-20E with the tab filed off. <B>[Apparently a modified TC-20E is not an option; please see Craig Bridge's comment below.]</B>

<P>

One way or another, as soon as you put a 2x TC on your 80-200, AF on the F4 will be very iffy anyway.

I just tried the Kenko 2x on that lens and body (I don't think I've ever put those three bits together before). It actually AF's pretty well assuming there is some texture on the target. It's sunny here today, but my house backs up into the forest. I tried it all the way down into some shade and it AF'd fine. If it can't find some texture, you get an 'excursion', but that's what I've come to expect from my F4.

I've used that combo on other bodies like the F100. I find the optical quality to be noticably off from the lens alone. It's just a little flatter in contrast, a little less crisp. It's still publication quality for journalism, but I wouldn't recommend it for an Audobon calendar. It's not a substitute for a 400/3.5 or 400/5.6.

I also use the Kenko 1.4x with that lens, and I don't feel it gives away any of the quality of the main lens. The quality degradation is probably there, but it seems to be good enough to pass muster. I use the 1.4x without hesitation, and I reach for the 2x if I simply have to have the length.

Since you are considering a 2X TC on your 80-200, apparently the resulting 400 f/5.6 doesn't bother you. For the same cost as the TC, you could buy a dedicated 400mm f/5.6 prime lens with better quality results. I used a Sigma APO AF 400 f/5.6 with my F4S for many years, getting great African wildlife photos. (I gave it to one of my sons after buying a 500 f/4) I believe that Tokina makes a respectable lens equal to the Sigma, but I have no experience with it.

It is only fair to compare 3rd-party optics against 3rd-party optics. Brand new Kenko 2x TCs vary from below $100 to about $200 at B&H. A Sigma 400mm/f5.6 is about $700. A 400mm/f5.6 will likely give you better quality than putting a 2x TC on a 80-200, but it'll cost more.

The Tamron SPAF 1.4x (or KenkoPro) is a great choice with the 80-200 f/2.8 AFD lens and you'll be hard pressed to discern any image quality changes. Any of the 2X TC's and image quality will suffer.

The TC20E is not designed for this purpose and modifying it won't give you auto focus and can result in glass to glass interference. The TC20E is designed stick ane element up into AFS lenses. AFS lenses have significant rear element clearance for this purpose. Your 80-200 AFD doesn't!

Good point Craig. I had the old 80-200mm/f2.8 AF but not AF-S, and I have used the TC-14b with it. However, I have never used any Nikon 2X TC on that lens. OTOH, both the TC-14E and TC-20E work with the newer 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-S.

Apparently, the only Nikon 2x TC you can use with the older non-AF-S 80-200mm/f2.8 AF is the TC-201, which is designed for shorter lenses. There is neither AF nor electronic coupling.