later rolleicord = better screen?

guido_calza

I've been reading older messages and there seems to be some

confusion on this matter. Is it true that later models (Va and Vb)

have clearer screens? I'm trying to buy a Rolleicord, there seem to

be many Rolleicord IV or V on ebay, while Va's are rather scarce.

Should I look for this particular model or would the screen be just

as dim in a Rolleicord IV?

(I know that a can get a replacement screen anyway, but they're

expensive.)

Thanks very much!

harry zet wrote:

> forgot: the IV was the last one that was all metal inside. the V, Va and Vb were cheapened and had some plastic innards to keep cost down.

Never heard this, never saw a plastic part inside a Rolleicord (or Rolleiflex) from F&H. I heard this story from the last Mamiya C TLRs, but not from Rollei. AFAIK the Va has the old style finder ("Tauchlichtschacht"), but uses the new style plastic screens (non-switchable). The Vb has the removeable version of the Rollei TLR finder called "Wechselsucher" and user-interchangeable screens.

In my opinion the Vb (or the Rolleiflex T) is the best inexpensive TLR, near perfect workmanship and excellent optics. The original screen isn't perfect (both Rolleicord Vb and Rolleiflex T use the same screens), but it is absolutely useable without doubling the price of the camera by getting a very expensive aftermarket screen. The T has the advantage of a crank with coupled shutter cocking and a f2.8 finder optic, the Vb has a f3.2 finder, a transport knob and seperate shutter cocking.

I use my T for most of my Rollei shots, I think the EVS-coupling is much easier to use than the earlier Rolleiflex EVS-couplings. Wide open, the 2.8 and 3.5 Planar/Xenotar Rolleis are a little better, but at f5.6-8 or smaller there is no visible difference.

Martin

I would consider things like the lens and overall condition as cirteria for purchase, the screen is the least important. If you'll be mainly shooting outdoors or in well-lit areas indoors and your eyes are pretty good you'll get by ok with an original screen if it isn't scratched to hell. That's really the bane of the later plastic screens, which IMO aren't significantly brighter. People weren't aware how delicate they were and tried to clean them like they would a glass screen. In any case all of the screens can be changed to a Beattie if you know how to use a screwdriver and have no more than six thumbs.

Jay is right: condition is more important in a Rolleicord you're going to use. To start with it's more important to get a lens hood and film. Then use the camera and see if you need a replacement screen. There are relatively inexpensive screens available on ebay that are easy to install and, while not as good as the best, are a definite improvement over the original.

martin: theodor uhl (the one who was responsible for the rolleiflex t) first worked on the Va, where he used some plastic parts inside, well hidden from the eye (he had made his doctor on the theme of how to use plastic instead of metal in the industry. instead of working for volkswagen in nearby wolfsburg, he and a few friends joined rollei). he was successful and then he was ordered to bring out the t.

I have both a III and a Va Rolleicord. Both have Schneider Xenar f/3.5 taking lenses. Both have Heidosmat f/3.2 viewing lenses. The III has a glass screen, the Va has a plastic one. Both are virtually identical in terms of screen brightness. Both have significant light fall off to the edges of the screen. Now my Yashicamat LM - that has a bright screen, and far more even brightness edge to edge.

The biggest differences between the III and Va for me are the III has right-hand focusing, the Va has left hand and the Va has double exposure prevention. It also has the aperture/shutter speed settings semi-locked together which is kind of annoying.

guido, i recently got a Vb. its screen was quite dark. i replaced with the Maxwell

screen which is better. if i had to do it again, i might have chosen the split-image

maxwell screen, for situations which require fast focus. however, i really don't use

that camera for situations which require fast focus :-)

ed

• 3 weeks later...