Alpa SWA vs. Horseman SW 612 PRO

seb_seb

Well, a recent thread about the Horseman 612 camera made me think

about this : Am i wrong in stating that those two cameras are almost

the same camera, one (the alpa) being twice the price of the other ?

Am I missing something ? Are there some huge differences I miss ?

They are both niche cameras, but directed toward slightly different user groups. O.k., both are extremely versatile and allow all kind of lenses to use, and all kind of applications as well. Then there is Alpa's snob appeal, price tag, and superb quality as well. In terms of design and production, the Alpa in fact is better. The Horseman is also a beautiful camera and produces beautiful results, but it has some manufacturing constrains that make you wonder at times. So, here are the main differences:

The Horseman is more designed to allow for the wide panorama (6x10). It's shifts go in all directions, which can be useful at times. A camera for the extremes. The original set of APO-Grandagons is nothing less than spectacular for this camera.

The Alpa allows for shifts as well, but has the added advantage of offering two routinely handholdable lenses to chose from: the 38mm Biogon and the new 48mm Helvetar. Both lenses are usable wide open, especially because only the center of the Helvetar/Super Angulon is used for Alpa's 6x9. However, the negative/slide format is smaller. Alpa argues they only use the optimum coverage of their lenses, which may be true, but sometimes the wider panorama is just the desired effect irrespective of image quality.

As much as the Mamiya 7ii is a wonderful camera, it doesn't allow for shift, and I have always preferred 6x9 over 6x7. That is of course personal. In this respect, both the Horseman and the Alpa are viable alternatives. The Alpa caters more to a spontaneous user who wants to have the option to take handheld medium format wide angle shots. The Horseman is more tailored to deliver extreme panoramas and compromises handholdability to some extend.

Rolex is Linhof's name for rollfilm backs. They have a reputation for excellent fit. It's somewhat inconsistent though since Alpa is also offering the Mamiya backs, which don't have that great of a reputation. On the other hand, the Horseman backs are truly outstanding in terms of flatness and fit as well (IMHO). However, the Horseman has some other design flaws which are less commendable.

Thomas,

What are you thinking of when you say "the Horseman has some other design flaws which are less commendable." ? Are you just talking about the back or is it also about the camera ?

Thanks in advance.