F100 Rewind problem

michael_ferron1

My F100 was rewinding fine until today when I accidently set the camera to

multiple exposure. It was noisy so I couldn't hear the lack of rewind. After

about 15 shots I discovered the blunder and set it to single shot. The film

advanced fine and I used up the 24 exposures. When I removed the film there

were about 5 inches of film showing and it was partially wound around the take-

up spool. I reloaded the camera, used another roll and again it rewound all but

about 5 inches of film. Any advice on what's going on would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

The same thing happened to me with an F90X, but in my case, it was because I dropped the camera from about 5 feet onto concrete. Everything else seemed to be working fine so I just rewound every roll twice to make sure all of the film was taken up. The weird thing is that after about 20 rolls, the rewind started working normally again.

Really old F100s had a lousy rewind fork that could crack. It is possible that yours might have this problem. If you gogle you can find some threads about the issue and at least one has photos. However, only the oldest F100s are affected by this problem. Nikon offered to replace the fork for free; since the F100 is now discontinued I doubt that the free repair still applies.

I don't know if this is your problem - but it's a possibility.

<I do not have a F100 , but on the F5 and other high end nikons you can set a custom function for leader out.> This is not a standard Custom Setting on the F100. The F100 must first be programmed (i.e. software installation) by Nikon or authourozed Nikon service. Might the camera be used...whereby the previous owner had the 'leader-out' software installed?

"on the F5 and other high end nikons you can set a custom function for leader out,..." Not possible on a F5 (unless as noted above, you send the camera to a service center for a software "fix.")

The Nikon F6 has a custom function for "leader out rewind."

Does your F100 have, by chance, NiMH AA cells running the camera?

[Off the wall chance, if you are using NiMH batteries, the voltage needed for rewinding may not be 'good' for the roll to finish. Four 1.2V cells are not quite the four 1.5v cells recommended for the F100.]