We are staying at a hotel near the Hospital and a local camera shop

if that makes any difference. I don't have the street name with me

right now. The team works out at Twin Pines, I believe that is the

name. I also believe there is a nature preserve just down the way

from the facility.

If any Sarasota native could part with some knowledge of the area I

would be greatly appreciative. It would also be great to go out with

another shooter for company and guidance if possible. I shoot Provia

100F almost exclusively. Any problems with that film?

Feel free to e-mail me. I will get more detailed information on where

we are staying.

Thanks in advance

Timothy Jacobsen

home page: tmjphoto.com

e-mail: tmjphoto@aol.com

work e-mail: tjacobsen@fredericknewspost.com

Don,t have my FL Atlas handy this late but S of Sarasota on I-75 is Myakka State Park, Oscar Scherer State Park( tame scrub jays) and Venice Rookery. To get to the rookery, go W on Jacaranda Blvd off 75 to 41( about 6 mi). Go rt and then an immediate L at the Highway Patrol Station. Continue back to a small pond with a tree covered island and you will see the birds. Well worth the drive. Bring a long lens for Venice if you want close shots of nesting activity.

Not sure of mileage but lots of others here will help you out and

likely have some other spots that my sleepy head can,t think of now. Good luck!

Timothy , I used to live in the house right next to the ball park . your best bet is Myakka State park you can shoot the morning away and be back at the ball field in about 20 minutes. you'll need long lenses for any birds and its getting late in the year for them. alot of gators thow. Good luck, Sarasota is a nice place thow i think the land Developers are hell bent on destroying it.The High Hat Ranch I'am told is selling off land and it backs up to the state park.And they call it progress !There are some stores at the exit you will get off at to go to the ball field, stop and ask they will point you toward Myakka.

A little sidebar question to Timothy`s post...

Does anyone have any information on photo opportunities at Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park? The Florida State Parks website says there is limited access there, but I was wondering what might be available. I`m not a bird enthusiast at all, but enjoy other nature/wildlife opportunities. It sort of sounds like it could be interesting for a morning visit.

• 5 years later...

It's a few years too late but I'll offer some input anyways.

Go to Myakka State Park just south of the exits for Sarasota Florida on I75. Once you go through the gate you will drive past the store, etc. where you can buy stuff. Go to the right just before the store. Drive exactly .77 miles and you will see an old path off to the right side. There is a pine log off to the left and you will see that it is an old path. Walk down that path for about 600 steps or so and you will see a stand of some larger pine trees. I have shot some incredible bird pictures from just below these pines. I've been lucky enough to get a picture of an Eagle on a few occasions, not sure why they were there. Lots of other birds, some rarer than others. Something attracts them to this little area, not sure what. Just a good spot.

Enjoy,

Tim Macking - Sarasota