Tripod recommendation for hiking/mountaneering

stric

Hello,

I am planning several camping hiking/mountaneeding trips this summeri

n the American West (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah...). Anyway, I am

planning o buy a tripod for my camera. I will bring only my

Voigtlaender Bessa R2 rangefinder with three lenses. I am not

concerned with zooming. All I want is some sort of good support for

the photos in the dark and loger exposures.

So the tripod needs to be light and durrable. What can you recommend?

Any particular brand or model?

PS. I am 6'3" tall, so I guess I owuld like something that doesn't

require much bending over.

I still like the Gitzo 1001 "Weekend" model - about 2 lbs and 1.5' when folded. Drape a pack over the camera and you can get steady exposures up to 300mm or more; on it's own it handles up to about 100mm okay, depending on what surface you set it on. But you will have to bend over, as it only goes up to about 3 feet w/o the center column extended, or about 4 feet w/ center column (with a bag draped and wider lenses I have gotten sharp exposures extended all the way). I'm 6'1" and I guess I've just gotten used to the height - only rarely do I totally miss a photo because I can't get the tripod high enough, and that's mostly shooting in tangled Eastern forests.

If you must have something larger you can always go to carbon fiber, which someone else is better qualified to brag about. I'm not yet willing to shell out the big bucks for one, and even if you get a tall, light model you'll have to make sure the extra bulk is something you can live with.

I'm not bragging but do have a Gitzo 1127 carbon fiber which is strong, light,and stable. I use it use mostly with medium format cameras but have used it with a 4x5 field camera as well, though it's not ideal for that. It has a hook from which you can hang your camera bag for more stability. I hike all over with it and have used it for travel as well.

Good luck.

I have a Gitzo 1026 which is similar to the 1001 but adds adjustable leg angles. I used this

for a 10 day walking trip in Ireland and mounted my Contax G2 on it which is similar to

your Voigtlander in size and weight. I would give it only a B- grade. I was attracted to the

small folded size and quite light weight but the erected height is quite short and because

of it's (relatively) narrow stance is not the most stable pod you'll use. After using the 1026

I would never consider the 1001 for general use as (again) the narrow footing makes it

difficult to attain a stable footing on uneven ground. The 1026 at least lets one spread the

legs farther to compensate when required.

Pros:

Small folded size

Very light weight

Good build quality

Cons:

Short erected height

Compromised stabilty

High cost (1026)

Twist lock legs required a specific routine of locking and unlocking

My suggestion?

Look at the Slik 713.

Go to the manufacturers sites and compare the #s and don't overlook the benefit of

adjustable leg angles and enough overall height.

These guys above are nuts. You have a tiny little rangefinder with a couple of tiny little rangefinder lenses and they think you should be using a carbon fiber $400.00 tripod designed to hold a 4X5 veiw camera off the ground.

Look at the Velbon 343E I hauled one of these all over Europe this fall using it with a Canon T90 and up to a 200mm f2.8 lens it did great. I have done a lot of backpacking in my days and weight is the most important thing when considering a piece of gear but BULK can be second.

For complete details on this pod check it out at B&H (I'm not saying you need to buy it from them but they have a nice page to read up on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=224890&is=REG

As to your hieght this pod will be a bit short coming up to only 62.4" with the column up. but for the tiny size it's a great backpacking pod.

If you're only planning to use it in low light, I'd forget the height issue, as you'll probably be making 90% of your shots without it. I'm 6'-2" and use a fairly low tripod, seldom extend the center post, and the biggest problem I've found is that it won't go low enough, rather than a lack of height (for flower photography, for example).

<p><i>These guys above are nuts. You have a tiny little rangefinder with a couple of tiny little rangefinder lenses and they think you should be using a carbon fiber $400.00 tripod designed to hold a 4X5 veiw camera off the ground. Look at the Velbon 343E...</i></p>

<p>I totally agree with your assesment, but not with your choice of tripod. I would recommend the Slik Sprint Pro over the Velbon. It is more stable, taller, lighter, folds down shorter and has a slighly better head. In addition, it features individual leg-spread, gets down very low (by removing the longer section of the two-part center column), the center column reverses and did I mention that it is more stable?</p>

<p>I use Gitzo for heavier gear, but when hiking/backpacking with a small digicam, the Slik is the one I carry.</p>

OK That's another option a little taller .1 lbs lighter slightly bulker (packed) and with less working load. I do like the leg spread and low angle features (which for me would be a big plus in the woods as I do a lot of forest floor photography.) But at only 5.5. lb's I wouldn't be able to use my most common setups as my T90 with a 200mm f2.8 a FD 50 tube and macro slider are more then 5lbs. Which my Velbon seams to handle quite well.

I guess that's why they make so many different tripods so we can each find one we like.

Whichever tripod you choose, a ball-head is a good idea. Some of the more affordable models now come with small ball-heads, or more expensive leg-sets can be used with your choice of ball-head. Personally, I don't use mine with the legs fully extended unless neccessary. It makes them unstable and larger "footprint" that can be hard to deal with. Also, I don't put mine in the pack, and prefer to carry it in my hands, ready to go (and also use it to help climb and push branches out of the way... even sometimes to help others cross boulders and logs) I'll admit that using shorter tripods is hard on the back and knees, but often the composition if best down low, so I live with the inconvenience. I use an older model Gitzo (Gilux Tatalux) with fairly short legs, but it has a double section center column. On top is an old Leitz ballhead (Leica) It's a bit heavy, but that never bothered me because I keep changing how I carry it: over left shoulder, over right shoulder, left arm down, right arm down, ect.