Clear filter for DSLR lenses

I'm ordering a D70 with the 18-70 kit lens, and am looking for a basic

clear filter to go with the lens. I've heard that UV filters aren't

ideal for digital cameras, that an infrared filter would be better.

I'm just looking for something to protect the end of the lens,

something in the $30-$50 range. Any favorites?

Thanks,

Jonathan

You saved my day Bob! I bought the Hoya UV multi coated filters and for a second thought I had made a mistake :-)

I do see however that I seem to have bought a Tiffen Haze-1 for the 70-30 lens, have you any idea what that is or if that is any good, just that I told the shop to give me what they thought would do the job, I have never heard of Tiffen.

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!

I just got out my 70-300 lens to check the filter and to try and be helpful on here, put it on a table whilst I posted a reply and the bl..dy thing rolled off the table onto a tiled floor!! Anyway the Tiffen filter sacrificed itself (smashed) and saved the lens, luckily the Canon lens cover was also on, see photo in portfolio. I have learnt a serious lesson here today, and that is these lenses do roll :-) Checked out the lens, still works OK, I think the hood, clipped on it in reverse storage mode took some of the force.

Time to stop fiddling and get shooting I think, now what is the best filter for a 70-300 lens, I see a visit to a photography shop coming on :-)

Where have you heard/read about putting an infrared filter on your lens? Unless what you are thinking of is completely different than what I am thinking of, those filters are dark red/opaque, and used for infrared photography.<p>Get a multicoated UV filter.

Unfortunately, Eric, Nikon doesn't offer their filters in the 67mm size. I tried to get one for the 24-85/3.5-4.5 AF-S...no dice. I went with the Hoya super HMC. I've read somewhere that Hoya makes Nikons' filters. After comparing the two, I'd have to agree...they're identical.