With my 35mm and MF systems I've taped the filters to the lens

without any problems but, I'd really like not to do this with the

4x5 system. By the way, I use the Cokin system and have used the

adapter rings on the 35mm and MF systems but find that taping them

is much easier and faster. Plus, I can add (stack) filters at

different angles to each other.

I've done a search and have found many threads on using adapter

rings and compendium shades but, I don't think a compendium shade

will attach to the Tachihara 4x5...I could be wrong though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry

Now, it doesn't fit my litte Dagor 111mm or the 135 Optar (probably the same you have):

the screws don't turn down far enough.

So, instead someone in a camera shop suggested using step up rings: Just find the odd

sizes that press over the existing outside of the front cell and then step up to fit my

normal 49mm lenses (for my 35mm kit).

I bought a Cokin universal, instead. The screws don't turn down far enough to grasp, but

with the step-up ring pressed onto the lens front I can turn the screws down far enough to

grasp.

Looks kinda ghetto, but it works remarkably well.

The Lee rubber band system would work without threads. The system consists of a filter holder, a rubber band to attach the holder to the front of the lens, and of course whatever filters you wish to buy. Lee sells a basic group of 4" x 4" red, green, orange and yellow filters that fit in the holder, the holder snaps shut, and you use the rubber band to hold the holder in front of the lens. You don't have to worry about step up rings, step down rings, different size filters, etc. It's also an extremely light weight and compact system, much lighter and more compact than carrying around a bunch of glass filters or a compendium shade. The only downsides I found were two, the filters scratch easily and if the diameter of the lens is very small (like my 150mm G Claron) it can be difficult to get enough tension in the rubber band to keep the holder on the lens. But overall it's a pretty good system if you have no filter threads on your lenses or want to save on space and weight. Of course you can't easily use a polaroid filter with it so I still carried around several glass polaroid filters.

Pressing oversized filter adapters certainly works. It may in the long rub scratches and damage of lens cells. The rubber band system is probably a safer bet if you don't mind using the Lee filter sytem.

Another option is a slip-on adapter. See the following thread for slip-on options. http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004spf