1/3 shutter issues

nathanchristopher

Hey, guy's I'm about to make the plunge into Mamiya 6x7 shooting.

I've already made the decision to go for the RZ system as oppossed

to the RB. My concern however remains in which of the RZ to get. I

understand the differences between the two (RZ pro, RZ proII) and

therein lies my concern. I like the idea of the 1/3 shutter speeds

available on the proII, yet I don't like the price increase just for

the new features. It's hard to justify. Therefore I have two

questions. Firstly, is the increase in shutter flexability worth the

headache. And secondly, if I do get the RZ pro can I use the ae

prism proII finder. Will using the newer finder on the older RZ give

me the 1/3 shutter flexablity?. Thanks for your time.

By the way. I will be using the cam for weddings, portraits, and my

favorite....landscape. Thus proper precise exposure is really

important to me.

Hi Nathan, you are probably in the best position to answer your question. Are you using 1/2 stop exposure compensation, or 1/3 stop with your current gear? Do you feel limited by 1/2 stops?

For landscapes, don't underestimate the ability to have tilts and shifts. A small 6x9 view camera would be brilliant, but that precludes the use for weddings. Are you sure you want to do all with just one camera system? For weddings, digital is better in my opinion, then use MF or even better LF for really serious landscapes.

Hello Nathan,

With RZ Pro II you will only get 1/2 shutter speed. IMO this is a minor issue because you can already easily benefit of 1/2 aperture stops with all Z-W lenses.

Yes, you can use metered prism II that will give old RZ Pro the ability to deal with 1/2 shutter speed too (this is exactly my gear).

Greetings.

Thanks for the quick answears, Andreas and Enrico, they help clear my mind. In regards to the issue of digital for my weddings. Yes I would love the flexability, but right now that's all I can do as I don't have an iffinite supply of dineros. This is the reason why I want to do the weddings...so I can get more equipment..funny circle it is. And in concern to the 6x9 for landscape, I have to focus right now on my fundamentals. I'm still young (23) and learning @ a ferocious pace. I need a camera that covers all the bases, learning to do what I need to do and yet capable of amazing results in what I love to do (landscape). The reason for my concern was sparked when I learned of the different shutter options and then checked to see what I had been doing with my nikon f80. Sure enough, I had been using 1/2 stop increments already so I suddenly became concerned that I wouldn't have the same shutter control. Any more input from anyone is greatly appreciated. I am here to learn.

IMO digital for the weddings is the way to go. You are already in with the nikon system with your F80, go for the D100 or for the D70. I know it cost a lot to start with, but you must have a lens or two from the F80 to get you started, and as for a computer, you must have one. For the purpose of the wedding, think about the possibilities of having not only the bride and groom purchasing a package, but the ability with a dye sub printer to proof and possibly sell photos to guests at the wedding. I know around here when a family is all dressed up, they tend to like photos of themselves, and a professional photo at the wedding that they can pay for and take home with them is something a lot of people like. yeah, i know your question is about Mamiya 6x7 and I was a short time ago looking into this idea. I got myself a hasselblad mainly because i am a wimp and didnt want the extra pound... as for the idea of film, for my personal preference, i like film much better, but most of your potential customers would even be happy with a little inkjet photo printed from some walmart printer that will only last long enough to get home. well, its just a little fyi, and for the practical purposes of consumer photography, it only makes sense to go digital, especially in the point and click era... I work a little of both.

Dan