Filters for 180mm APO-Telyt f/3.4

Rob F.

I have a 180 APO-Telyt with a serial # that supposedly takes series

7.5 filters. I tried a 60mm B&W, and a 60mm Heliopan, just to try

whether it might be the 60mm version. It isn't.

Examining the place where the threads should be, to accept a filter

or retaining ring, I see:

1. No retaining ring.

2. Concentric grooves that don't look helical, like threads. They

look more like they were meant to prevent reflection. But I can't

tell for sure.

Does anyone else have an APO-Telyt in this range, below #2947024?

If so, is there a retaining ring? Or filter threads?

Maybe it's a moot point, since series 7.5 filters are hard to get,

anyhow.

There are some comments in the archives that this lens doesn't

perform well with any filter at all. Is it possible they made no

provision for a filter, at least on some of them, for this reason?

The lens having been designed for the Navy, I would think they would

need a filter, to keep the salt water out! I would like to use a

filter to protect the lens, as many of us do.

Rob, There should be a retaining ring. Personally, I've never seen a series 7.5 filter. Once you get the retaining ring (#14222), it should hold 55mm filters in place. Years ago, Walter Moffatt of Leica USA (now retired) suggested I use a B&W 55mm .25 diopter lens to get closer focus. The ring nicely holds the filter. Another thing you could do is use gelatin filters and hold them in with tape. Happy Snaps, Sal

The Series 7.5 filter holder is catalog # 14222. This lens was loaned to me for several years and I found a Series 7.5 yellow filter for it in an on-line auction but by the time the filter arrived the lens' owner asked to have it back so I haven't tested the lens with the filter. The lens can be modified to use E60 filters, or perhaps some step-up ring like 58mm-to-60mm will work.

<p>I have no first hand experience of this lens but if I recall corrrectly the whole hood and filter system might be mounted as on older elmarit M 135 lenses. <a href="http://www.1839.org/hors/trucs/elmt55/index.html?lang=en">Here is a description</a> of the way I adapted an elmarit to 55 mm filters. You would of course need to get the right measurements.</p>

Rob, I actually had a 7.5 filter [uv]for this lens but I had to search high and low for it. Leica [supposedly] never actually made the filter, only the retainer ring. My B&W filter, which I finally found and bought used from a dealer in Canada, had been special ordered. B&W may still do this for you. I never saw any performance problems, but then again I really didn't use it very much.

Okay, well, I started with Sandor's info on the thread size, I tried to find a 59mm to 60mm step-up ring on B&H. The good news is that they do show a 59mm lens size in their step-up listings. The bad news is that it doesn't cross over to any filter sizes. None at all. from experience, I don't think a 58mm will work, if 59mm is the true size. That one mm will make a difference, I think.

So it looks like I should go with Sal's suggestion to order a retaining ring, and try a 55mm filter to see how that works, as Sal also mentioned. I am having a little trouble seeing anything that looks convincingly like a thread in the lens, though.

Thanks for the ideas!