Digital Rebel Parameters

ryan_schneider

Maybe I should be a little more specific. I am looking at the maual right now and it

does not seem as clear one might think. Adobe RGB is "used for commercial printing.

Since the image will look more subued, image processing will be required." Does this

mean that the colors will not be as vibrant? Will my image looked washed out? Will I

loose sharpness? Why would anyone want a washed out image? Why would this even

be a choice on a prosumer camera, especially if it is used for commercial printing?

The image will only look washed out if it is viewed in some application that is not aware of colour profiles. If it were viewed in, for example, Photoshop, then it would be fine.

AdobeRGB captures a wider range of colours (bigger gamut), that sRGB. However, if you want to post photos on the web, or print via most online printing services, you will need images in sRGB. It is possible to convert between colour spaces in Photoshop

By using Adobe RGB, you don't lose anything, on the contrary: you actualy gain a lot. That is because the camera can cature a higher range of colours than a monitor or simple/cheap print process can display. To make it look good on those devices, you have to compress the range of colours so that the lightest colour value in the picture is dark enough to match the lightest colour that can be displayed. (the highlight point) And the same for the dark values. (the shadow point)

This, and some extra colour saturation and unsharp mask, is what the simple parameters do. Shooting Adobe RGB or RAW leaves more information in place and if you know what you are doing, you can get better results than the parameters will give you, but it does require work.

If you want to know more about this, read a book like "Photoshop for Photographers" or "Color correction using Photoshop".

Hope that clears it up a bit more.