4x5 Aspect Ratio Math....help...I am a musician :)

johnmarkpainter

The "active" part or 4x5 is actually 95x120 mm if I remember corrrectly. A 35mm transfer will only cover 80x120 mm. My ground glass has centimeter-spaced marks, so I know that it would be about 8 squares vertically.

Actually he was supposedly a pretty good concert pianist.

Music has a mathematical basis, and I know a lot of mathematicians and physicists who are musicians on the side (Einstein played the violin). But I guess not so many musicians who are mathematicians or physicists on the side.

John

MANY musicians are great mathematicians and vice versa- I know a few. One friend could do post graduate calculus in grade 8 and graduated from the Toronto Conservatory in Piano and Theory the same year as Glenn Gould( An autistic Savant most likely) only 2 marks behind, at 13 yrs. old!!!

I am an amateur musician and photographer, so the relationeship holds, but much further down the scale, so to speak.

The last visiter Adams saw 2 days before he died was Vladimir Ashkenazy, an old friend.

D-76, F-A-C-E, DSLR, G-B-D-F, Deardorff, Bosendorfer.

Zone System, tempered 12 tone scale - both used roots of 2: Zone - 2 to the 10th and the 12 tone scale, 12th root of 2- all math of one kind or another.

Cheers

4:5 is otherwise known as the interval of the just major third, which is about 386 cents. The Pythagorean major third, or "ditone" -- made up of two 9:8 whole steps -- is actually closer to the equal-tempered major third though (81:64 == 408 cents.) The equal-tempered major third -- the one we hear on Steinway pianos -- is actually horribly out of tune, being 400 cents. The just 4:5 third is the only one that will sound without "beating" since it is part of the harmonic overtone series.

<br><br>

One cent, by the way, is not in this context the amount you need to buy 1/213,900 of a Toyo 45AII at B&H. It is 1/1200 of a perfect 1:2 octave. That means that each equal-tempered half-step is 100 cents. It's basically a linear metric that is used to help us mere mortals to understand the logarithmic nature of the pitch continuum. I think that it was Alexander Ellis who devised the cents system in his translation of Helmholtz's "On the Sensations of Tone" -- one of the great 19th century scientific works on psychoacoustics and music theory.

It's frequently convenient to express aspect ratios with one on one side. This allows you to draw one frame inside another frame with each width or each height equal to one.<BR>

TV = 1.33:1 or 1:0.75<BR>

35mm = 1.5 :1 or 1:0.66 (Two original movie frames stuck together)<BR>

4x5 = 1.25 or 0.80 <BR>

(0.8-0.666)/2 = 8.33% lost off each side, not accounting for viewfinder and printing crop factors.<BR>

35mm is thus one of the longer standard formats.<BR>

Jeez....

I gotta get my Pocket Protector out in this Forum! (not a slam...I'm here too you know)

I did put a big ;) next to my comment above.

BTW, I am aware of the relationship of music and math (I am writing a Filmscore right

now). It is just that the people that do it well don't tend to think of it that way....just like

Photography.

You have to learn loads of Theory, study the masters and then try to forget it all and make

music. The theory is there mostly just attempt to explain the music that flowed out of a

composers head. It is also there to help you out when you have 'painted yourself into a

corner'.

Thanks again for the tech help. I really do hate the math required for LF...I prefer that

German Engineers tell me what Lens and Bellows to use so I can just go out and have fun.

The Physics aspect of it is quite interesting though.

With practice, I think I will learn to see the 2:3 ratio automatically. I have gotten pretty

good at it on Medium Format anyway.

THANKS,

jmp

As an alternative to Stephen's suggestion to shoot full frame on to 4x5 I think I would draw a 5 x 3.33inch wide frame on my ground glass with a sharp pencil. The resulting 3.33 x 5 frame would be the right aspect ratio for transfer full frame to 35mm and you would be losing film area where you can afford it.

There was a thread once about LF and music and it was surprising how many LF's were keen musicians too.

There is also a relationship between music and computers. A lot of musos (I was pro for 20 years) are involved in programming, design etc. All I could think of (in a strange esoteric moment) was the numeric base e.g. computers - 8/16/32 and 64 bit --- music - quaver = 8 beats per bar, semiquaver = 16 beats per bar and so on. In addition reading a computer program is similar to reading a score, you have loops, iteration etc. To cap it all I photograph solely in 120 and 5x4.