Time of year for Toroweap (Grand Canyon)?

christiankiely

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to the Grand Canyon

and I have a very specific question for those of you who have been to

Toroweap for a sunrise shot.

From looking at it on a map, it would appear that when you are

standing at the ledge looking across the canyon up the Colorado, that

you'd be looking in a direction generally 60* to 70* E of N.

I often research sunrise/sunset angles, and I see that for

approximately 40* N latitude, the angle of sunrise can be anywhere

from 57* E of N to 120* E of N depending upon the time of year(i.e.

http://www.locationworks.com/sunrise/2040.html#40).

From looking at a map it is my assumption that somewhere in the range

of 60* - 90* E of N would be ideal for the best shot, and that the

120* E of N would put virutally the entire canyon floor in a deep

dark shadow.

I guess I can make the question a little easier, sunrise is around

60* in mid-summer and 120* in mid-winter. Any comments about the

seasons you've been there would be helpful.

Thanks

I haven't been to the North Rim of GC yet, but on my topomap it seems that ToroWeap looking toward the nearest canyon line (about 4mi east) is about 92*E magnetic, 104*E true. Take a look at the attached image to see what bearing I'm referring to. Heck, maybe this isn't the same Toroweap you're referring to, so let me know!<div>007WGk-16787084.JPG.f34cf3f373e26ef858d335220cbfc112.JPG</div>

I do not know these photographers, but these are the types of shots that I am looking for:

http://www.roberthildebrand.com/shop/toroweap.html

http://www.gavrilisphotography.com/southwest2i.html#one

"Zapped" thank you for the topo, but the shot is right from the ledge of the canyon, about 3,000 feet to the floor. It is reasonable to think that the shot I am looking for is right near there, the only question is where on there it is... there's an unimproved road some 60 miles long that comes in fromt the North to get to the point that I am looking for.

Thanks

Christian, The shot you are looking for is at the very end of the road about 30-40 yards from the parking lot. Go to the very end of the road and do not take the left into the campground. You will come to a small circular parking lot. Walk about 30-40 yards to the edge of the cliff and the shot you are looking for is just to your left. If you walk to the right, this scene makes a decent sunset shot with the small tree in the foreground - you'll see which one I'm talking about. The best time of year for the shot you're mentioning is when the sun is at its southern-most angle - December. The shot on my site with the hiker was taken in March and was extremely difficult to eliminate lens flare if you want depth of field. If you go during the summer, you will be looking almost directly into the sun. For this shot you will need a 2-stop split ND filter for the rock because the canyon will be in the shade. Let me know if you need any other info and good luck.

Tony Litschewski - naturesfinestimages.com

Oh, I see what you mean about my map showing the peak rather than a cliff-edge vantage point. Hmmm, since nobody is giving you exact directions I'll offer up another topomap showing a better vantage point. In this image you can see the road leading down to the new point, which is SE of Hwy115, the road that leads south towards Toroweap. The new bearing is only 39* magnetic (52 true) though, and I left my old 92* magnetic bearing for reference.

Again, if I'm wrong about the exact location, maybe someone who is sure will chime in with the exact latitude/longitude & driving directions.<div>007Wbr-16795984.JPG.7d0ee359bace72fcc8d1c91c41c2b98d.JPG</div>

I went out there 2 years ago - it's a really cool place. The drive in is about 100 miles from Freedonia and 60 miles from St. George. It doesn't get rough until you get into the Park, and only then for the last couple miles as you round the butte. You'll want to stay in the adjacent campground, which is really pretty and the toilets are a lot better than ath the viewpoint. The campground is less than a mile away, but it will take you nearly 10 minutes to drive it as it is rough.

Tony Litschewski gave you a good description on getting there. I'll add that there is a ledge that you can jump down on to once you get to the cliff. The ledge is about 4 ft below the rim and it gives you that look that you see from many of the photos there - that you are below the horizon.

.Zapped's second map show the right spot, the bottom line he drew in. Your camera will be pointing about 45 or so degrees from north.

I was amused to see the link to Robert Hildebrand's photo -

http://www.roberthildebrand.com/shop/toroweap.html

I was there when I think he took that. It was taken sometime during the first week of October, 2002. Robert was positioned on the ledge I mentioned above near the canyon wall. The ledge is large enough that myself and another photographer, Andre, a friend of Robert's, we were all able to set up 4x5 cameras. A big thunderstorm came up the canyon right before 9:00 that morning.

Tony is right about using a one or two stop split density filter - you need it to tone-down the sun so you can see the opposite wall of the canyon.

It's a neat place - the opposite canyon wall is about 2000 ft away and the canyon is about 3000 ft deep. It has got to be the world's largest slot canyon!

Kirk

www.keyesphoto.com

If you want to include the sun in your picture (like Gavrilis), come

in summer or spring. Otherwise, try fall or winter. This is a difficult

picture, so don't be disappointed if results are not very good

(<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np-image.grca5497.html">example</a>,<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.grand-canyon.5.html">

more</a>).

On a clear day where you have no high clouds to diffuse the light

(such as in the two links you posted)

the contrast would be too high.

Thank you all for your wonderful information! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Quang-Tuan Luong, your portfolio is inspiring... keep up the good work! One of the photos you posted was what I asking about in the original post, trying to avoid the canyon in deep shadows.

PS I'll bring all four of my grads with me when I go!