I have the Epson 2200 connected to a USB 2.0 port directly on my

computer running xp pro w/ sp1. I am printing on 8.5x11" Ilford

semi-gloss paper and am printing TIFF files from 18-85mb. I am

having problems with the printer only printing part of the image and

ejecting the page. I have tried turing off the advanced printing

options and cleaning the unit. I have called Epson and still am

unable to solve this problem. It occurs on about 1 out of 3

attempts. Anyone have a solution. Thanks, Wil

Is the drive where your XP system files reside almost full? Sometimes printer caching can cause memory overflow problems of a sort and cancel the printing. Try it with smaller files and prints and still see if it's a problem. At least you might better isolate the problem and determine if it's the printer or not.

It sounds like a spooling issue. Try to go into the printers properties, Then into the advanced tab. Then set the printer to start printing after the last page is spooled. I have seen this problem on a few printer-Pc combinations, and this usually cures the problem. The other thought was that I have seen this when running through a USB hub, but you obviously not doing that..

Same problem here. The short answer is that it's a driver problem affected by filesize, USB 2.0, your spool settings, or a combination.

Anything larger than 25 MB likes to print incomplete. If you drop your filesize to this (by flattening layers, reducing color depth), the problem will disappear.

If you enable Print Preview, it'll show you if the page will cut off. Save yourself the paper and turn it on while you're experimenting.

Another stopgap solution is to turn off print spooling. Others have said to change the amount of memory allocated to spooling, but I don't appear to have such an option in Windows 2000.

Start / Settings / Control Panel / Printers / [Right Click] Epson 2200 / Properties / Advanced / "Print Directly to Printer"

This is of course slower and, in my experience, less stable.

If you email Epson, they'll tell you to reinstall the print driver and reboot the system without background programs.

Finally, another user in the archives has pointed to success with Firewire. Many new motherboards already have Firewire ports; if not, it may be worth your while to invest $40 in a controller card and a cable.

DI

... having just this afternoon invested $40 in a Firewire card and a cable, I can tell you it doesn't do a damn thing. Now I have a quicker and more responsive incomplete print.

The problem is almost certainly something stupid between OS and the print driver. You wouldn't happen to be running Win2000?

DI

I agree this is likely to be a spooling problem. I had the same problem making 12x18" prints (>200mb). The spooling drive was set on the boot drive, whether by mistake or some default. I moved the spooling directory to a fast SCSI drive intended for this purpose, and had no further problem. I keep that 18Gb drive virtually empty and defragmented.

Under "START/SETTINGS" open the PRINTERS directory. In the "FILE" menu, open the SERVER SETTINGS menu. Under the ADVANCED tab, find the SPOOL FOLDER setting.

You need to have a spool directory set up in the target drive. You can name it anything you want, but you can't use the root directory.

When all else fails, check the archives.

<p>

This fixed it for me:

<p>

Start / Settings / Printers / [Right Click] Epson 2200 / Properties / Advanced

<p>

<b>Uncheck</b> 'Enable advanced printing features'.

<p>

But at least I have a shiny new Firewire card now, eh?

<p>

DI

Mmmmm, I don't know. I've been holding off on the MP3 thing until I can buy a couple gigs for the price of an 8-track.

<p>

But it is the season to be jolly.

<p>

Apparently <a href=http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/>this</a> has a firewire slot. And apparently, I just so happen to have a firewire card..

<p>

DI