My first Leica Roll another picture

Hello,

Here is my second picture from my first Leica roll with my M7 90mm

2.0 cron apo lens of my 4 month old little girl. Anyway, my one

complaint is the time it took to get all the scratches off the scan.

With the Nikon V you cannot use ice with silver based films. I was

using ilford fp4+. That roll was processed at a black and white

lab. When I start to develop my own rolls, will they also have

scratches; even if I am careful with the negatives. Does anyone know

if the actual scanning process in the Nikon V cause minor scratches?

Thanks<div>007oHJ-17246984.jpg.6e7f780869331e709d61dcb3da91952b.jpg</div>

Stephen,

you can use ICE only with chromogenic b&w films such as Ilford XP2 or Kodak Portra 400 BW, Kodak T400 CN. Try to use one of these.

IMHO you won't escape from scratches but developing your own film is a way much better idea than doing this in a lab. In this case you can minimize problem of scratches.

Cheers. Przemek.

Stephen: Here in the US, you can get set-up to process B&W in your kitchen for around $100.00. You need a reel and tank for processing, a changing bag for loading the film, some chemicals, storage bottles, a thermometer, an accurage clock or watch with a second hand and some time. It is easy to learn and enjoyable. You can scan your film and print digital thus eliminating the wet darkroom. You shouldn't have any scratches on your film, if you are careful. Nice picture.

Cheers.

<p>It is not hard to process B&W film without scratching it. On the other hand, a lot of color minilabs seem unable to return unscratched negatives. It's a people problem.</p>

<p>Actually, a big scratch risk is the whole process of cutting into strips, and putting it into sleeves. There are a lot of static electricity issues (and attraction of dirt) with many of the plastic sleeving materials. (Pulling them back out can be when the scratches happen.) There's a good discussion of this in Wilhelm's <a href="http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html">book</a> on photographic image preservation.</p>

<p>Yeah, the roller system on the strip feeder for the Nikon Coolscan IV gives me the willies, but it hasn't caused me any trouble. Do open it up and clean it periodically on your Coolscan V.</p>

I haven't had any problems with my Coolscan V scratching negs -- however, I do use the

optional negative holder - I think it was 15 bucks from B&H -- I like it much better than

the neg feeder that comes with the V -- the optional holder keeps the neg very flat, and I

think gives a much sharper image.

bob