Please advise.

I currently use the 10D and the 550EX flash. I will now add a

monolight (start with one to learn with one mono/mono+flash). I

pretty much decided on a Hensel Integra. I primarily want to shoot

children portrait and see the advantages of a complete wireless

system. Therefore, what is the best way to get the flash and the

monolight simultaneously fired? I`m also considering a light meter

(sekonic 558). It is my understanding that this lightmeter is

compatible with a pocket wizard remote system? Is this the way to go?

Please advise

If you are going to mount the 550EX on the hotshoe, you will need to use the sync jack on the side of the 10D to fire the monolight. I use a Pocket Wizard with my monolights, but the PW transmitter is mounted on the hotshoe. I think you could use your 550EX on the shoe, and connect the 10D sync jack to the sync input jack on your PW transmitter and fire the monolight that way.

As far as I know, the only way to remotely fire your 550EX is with another 550EX, or Canon's hot shoe transmitter, STxxx something or other, I don't have the model number handy. Does anyone know if there is an optical trigger that the 550 can hook on to, to be triggered by the monolight flash output?

I think the answer is to use the Canon ST-E2 transmitter to fire the 550 and use the 550 flash to trigger the monolight. The Integra has a built in slave so everything should be OK.

Bill

I use something similar to fire some Novatron strobes with no problems from the 10D. One problem is to make sure you're not running in E-ttl mode since the preflash might fire the Hensel.

Bill

yeah, definetly listen to Giampiero and get the safe sync if you are going to be using your pc port, or else you risk frying your camera! PC is the way to get them simoltaneously fired.

But if you are going to go all wireless with 550ex off camera, then just buy 2 pocketwizard recievers and 1 pocketwizard transmitter. Then buy canon off shoe cord, cut it in half, and splice a regular sync cord that will fit into the pocketwizard into the hotshoe end of the sync cord and put your flash on it and connect it to the pocketwizard. I dont remember off the top of my head what color wire goes to what, but im sure you can search for it you might have to install a couple resistors, but I forgot which. Get a circuit tester. Then you have all wireless! very very handy because you get to use canon's flashes in e-ttl wirelessly with like 300ft non line-of-sight range. very costly, primarily because of expensive transmitters/recievers and the sync cord alone you will be cutting up is 50 bucks. If you are buying a monolight, you are definetly going to need the light meter, no pratical way around it. You should purchase that first and learn to use it.

-Dan

You could also use the Pocket Wizard to fire the monolight, and mount the 550EX on a Ikelite Lite-Link TTL slave ($80). It's the only optical slave that I know of that will work with all 550EXs. Most of them fire once & then lock up. The 550EX's built in slave device won't trip with a standard flash but the Lite-Link will.

I am also not sure if a Pocket Wizard can be adapted to fire a 550EX. It might lock up like they usually do with an optical slave. Has anybody actually tried this? If it works, it would be more reliable than an optical slave, but the Lite-Link is cheaper, and is a very good optical slave.

I just got my new set up. ST-E2 and the Hensel monoligt. Works great. The ST-E2 triggers the 550EX and the 550 triggers the monolight. Soo far no problem-all wireless.

Still have to figure out how to (as an alternative), hook up safely the monolight with my 10D. I have the PC cable and also a Wein Safe-Sync(Model SSH). Don`t really know how to use this though...Is this the correct Wein Safe-Sync? Please advise.Wim