Focomat Ic replacement anti-newton glass?

m m

The anti-newton glass ring that slips over the condensers of my

Focomat Ic has a few rub marks that occasionally show up in prints.

Is it possible to source a replacement for this? I've tried printing

without it, but am unable to eliminate anti-newton rings. Perhaps the

glass itself could be replaced, retaining the original metal ring?

You can avoid Newton rings by making an overlay mask from exposed & developed

(black) 6x6 or bigger film with a cut-out window for your 35mm frame. The idea is to

overlay your neg with a spacer to break contact with the condenser. You can cut it to

shape with a razor to fit in the Focomat neg holder, against the alignment pins. There

used to be a template for cutting these in the 1950's Leica Manuals from Morgan, as

a routine fix for the Focomats. You can basically follow the shape of the Focomat

negative holder. Much much cheaper than the anti-Newton glass accessory, even if

you can ever find one. Works just as well, too.

I bought some anti-Newton glass from focal point (mentioned above) several months ago to use with an old Valoy. I was told they could not cut glass to fit the condenser so I had it cut in a rectangle to fit over the negative in the carrier. It works okay but I still get Newton rings in really humid weather, which is most of the time around here. When I start getting rings, I use a spacer I rigged up from an old flat aluminum adapter ring. Both of them work about as well as the other but both are a pain in the ass, actually. I had several pieces of glass cut to size--a good thing since I've already broken one of them. The way to go is with the original Leitz part if you can find it and if you can afford it if you can find it.

I bought a 1c several years without the a/n glass.A friendly dealer gave me the top glass of a Gepe 6x6 slide.I seem to remember that it worked taped crudely to the condensor,but I was able to get it cut to shape by a local domestic glazier at a cost of £1.He didn't want any payment as the job took less than two minutes.I just gave him the glass and a tracing of the shape required.The glass was then taped in place'and worked perfectly.

I now have a later model with an almost complete kit for correcting verticals.All that is missing is a double glass holder for the film strip,which was I believe a standard item with the focomat.If I don't find one I am sure it would be relatively easy to make a substitute with two strips of glass or metal with a cutout.Incidentally,you can print the central parts of 6x6 negatives as 4x4 on the 1c by removing the negative holder,not a frequent activity but useful to know.

Alasdair Munro