which flashbulbs for 3--D-cell, 5" Heiland attached to Speed Graphic 4x5?

gaetano catelli

which flashbulbs for 3-D-cell, Heiland with a 5" dish attached to a

Speed Graphic 4x5?

<p>

last month, i used a Mamiya RZ67II to shoot <a

href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=376587">candids</a>

at a reception at Fotosphere Gallery. i shot without flash, and push

processed.

<p>

thursday evening, march 25, there will be another reception at the

same gallery. this time i would like to use my Speed Graphic 4x5.

however, when the gallery owner, Koichiro Kurita (pictured in the

shots linked above) saw my 3-Dcell, 5" Heiland flash attachment, he

kept saying, "kewl ... kewl ... kewl ..." in other words, he wants me

to use the flash on the next shoot.

<p>

1st question: what flashbulbs should i use, and where should i buy them?

<p>

2nd question: would Polaroid type 55, with an ISO for negatives of

about 20 (according to what i've read on photo.net), be fast enough

for this application?

A press 22 would work...with tri-x at 1/30th the guide number is an incredible 650. with type 55, asuming an asa of 2o you can get a guide number of about 200 to 225 at 1/30th PUT THE SHUTTER ON "M" sync or you will get nothing on the negative. The M setting allows the bulb to start it's burn a split second before the shuter goes off.

Have a first aid kit ready for burned fingers, and don't hold the bulbs in your pocket, as they can be set off by static electricity and ignite adjacent bulbs. That would give hot pants a whole new meaning.

Believe it or not new bulbs are being made in Irland. I think it is Megaflash Technologies. A Google search should bring this up.

Good luck...but I'll stick with my sunpak, unless I go caveing.

Man I just took a look at that flashbulb page. Prices are shall we say a bit steep. However since they aren't made anymore You've got to go with the price. Most guns of that era took Press 2s or 22s about the size of a 40 watt light bulb. Or you could use a 0 which was the size of a 100 watt bulb. Can't imagine what they go for. When I was working we had adaptors that screwed into the socket that would let you use press 5 or 25 bayonet bulbs. They sell the adaptor for $15.00 and have price on request for a dozen #5 or 25. They have M2 bulbs I believe which go for $18 a dozen but they are the peanut size and I don't think they'll fit in the adaptor.They may be kwel but unless someone is footing the bill I wouldn't do it.

here's a <a href="http://www.r-s-r.org/rsr/graflex/graflex1.html">picture</a> of the rig i have. the socket seems to hold by friction (rather than bayonet mount or screw thread). however, there are slits in the socket that seemingly would allow bayonet prongs to be inserted, even though it is not a bayonet mount as such. do the M series and Press series fit? if an adaptor is required, what is it called?

I just took a look at your flash and to my eyes I think it will take a press 5 or 25 bulb without an adaptor. Your unit is somewhat similar to the graflex unit with a 5" reflector. On there's you could remove the reflector and put on a 7" I believe. Then you'd use the large "lightblub" type blubs and would need an adaptor to use the 5 & 25s. Just a word of warning after you fire one if you don't have a button at the rear to eject the bulb use a handkerchief (sp) to get the bulb out. These suckers are hot and you really haven't lived until you have one fire when instaling. Not only do you get a nice little burn you can't see squat for a few minutes. Anyhow you got good advice to check e bay or older camera stores,try to get some fast to make sure your unit is working sometimes they get coroded (sure wish I could spell) I hope you are able to use it at the show.

For the 5 inch reflector and using front shutter "M" sync, use 5's or 25's. For rear shutter sync, use no. 6 bulbs. For black & white, you can use clear or blue bulbs. For color work, use blue bulbs or the appropriate filter on the lens.If you can use screw base bulbs with the 5 inch reflector, be aware that you are concentrating the light and will have problems with hot spots and harsh(er) shadows. For flash bulbs in a hurry contact Bill Cress. A search will get it for you.In the mean time, keep an eye on eBay.