Best Canon Portrait Lens

mark_k4

I have 24-70mm/f2.8, 70-200mm/f2.8, and 85mm/f1.8 lenses. My

interest is mainly people/portrait photography. Would prime lenses

(i.e. 85mm/f1.2L, 135mm/f2L, 200mm/f2.8L) offer a better quality

portrait picture? I have saved up some money, and was wondering

about purchasing a new lens or upgrading the current lenses. Thank

you for your comments and recommendations.

I think you already have an excellent collection of lenses. If you are interested in

portraiture then the next thing to invest in is some studio equipment. A basic set of

two strobes, background, and softbox will be less than a new L lens. Taking control

of the light will give you whole new creative possibilities.

<p>It's a matter of taste, but I recently got the 85/1.2L for my 300D, and I think it's absolutely fabulous. Look at <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001aeD">this thread</a> for some points of view, and be sure to check out the photo by Ed Baumeister, which pretty much sums up the capabilities of the lens.</p>

<p>If you won't be shooting at f/1.2, however, don't bother. The darned thing weighs two pounds, and focus is, as everybody will be quick to tell you, quite slow. While Photodo rates it much higher in sharpness than the 85/1.8, I gather you'll be hard-pressed to find anybody who is unhappy with the 85/1.8 on that front. And sharpness isn't always a virtue for portraits, is it?</p>

<p>That being said, I happen to like the results I get at f/1.2, and if I had to sell all my other lenses so I could keep the 85/1.2L, I'd do it. Why don't you borrow/rent one sometime and give it a try?</p>

I also gave up the 1.8 to a 1.2 but to suggest it over the 1.8 is like saying get the Lamborghini over Subaru Wrx. The price to performance ratio is a little wacky. Tgat being said I would not trade my 1.2 for anything because I am an available light freak and I love the results for portraits. Check out my falily photos folder for pictures with the 85mm 1.2

mark, you got a nice lens set-up and that one should be able to take you a long way. Couple of questions:

- What type of portaits are we talking about? Half-body? Face? Tight selective head-shots?

- What is your preferred working distance?

- Are these formal stuiod style portraits or more envirionmental ones?

- Are you using film/full frame or a DSLR with a cropping factor?

Having said all that, I like/strive for really tight head-shots and the ability to be able to fill a frame with e.g. a child's face. According to my research, that means 135/2 or the 85/1.2, if you really want superlative performance.

Personally I think the ability to do very selective focusing and the ability to shoot low light leads me to the 85/1.2 - at least 2-3 stops faster than the 135/2 L because you have to shoot that one at a higher shutterspeed as well due to the longer focal length.

<em>the 85/1.2 - at least 2-3 stops faster than the 135/2 L because you have to shoot that one at a higher shutter speed </em><p>

<p>

...not if you own (and use) a tripod...

<p>

I know not everyone does, but a LOT of portrait shooters do. Depends on your style (candid/formal).

<p>

We're also all assuming that Mark is shoting film or full frame digital. The answers become somewhat different with a 10D.

I believe the 85 f1.8 is already a fine lens for portait works. If you want to need an additional ultimate lens, I would suggest you consider the 135 f2. I have heard its optical quality is the best among the canon's short tele-lens.