Nikon F3 Modern Photography Review

mskovacs

I finally got around to scanning and PDFing the old modern photography

review of the F3. There's some useful information in here for users,

especially on metering patterns and the like. ENJOY!

I give full credit to the magazine for this work and ask that it not

be modified in any manner.

(if somebody wants to host it, that would be great)

Thanks Mike. I picked up an F3HP recently, which is at Nikon USA getting a full CLA right

now. I can't wait to get it back and start shooting it again. The Modern test will keep my

interest piqued in the mean time. Gotta love that HP finder, best ever.

Thanks Mike!<p>I did remember correctly that the TTL flash meter pattern was rectangular (figure on page 119). As a bonus, there is a review of the 50mm f/1.4 AIS lens too!<p>I was in Toronto this past weekend, but I didn't have a chance to go to the library to look for the magazine. I'm glad that you did. I was there to go over my income taxes with the accountant. As a resident alien in the US, I have the privilege of paying both the US and Canadian taxes. :-(

Works for me too. Try right-clicking and choose "Save as ..." to have a better sense of download progress. If you just click, chances are it is trying to open up inside the browser.

Mike are you trying to get non F3-owners jealous? I've stopped reading it halfway. I'll delete it.

Thanks Mike! I'm sure you understand I was just kidding with my above comments ;)

<P>

Both FM2 and FE2 reviews would be great -- count me in. I'd probably like to have the FE2 one first, because 1. it is more similar to FM3A and 2. it is the more "substantial" of the two.

<P>

BTW, am curious about the FM2 review -- what did they manage to write, since this camera is so basic? If I were to write an FM2 review myself, I'd probably copy-paste the same phrase "Great camera, Great camera ..." all over and across two pages!

I actually read the review at lunch today. Wow, the camera mags don't do them like that

anymore! I see why so many folks thought so highly of Modern Photography. A very well

done review for an important (and they know it) product revolution.

Heck, I'm proud to be anbd F3 shooter.

It shows a big difference in how reviews have changed over time. Nowadays most photo

magazines parrot the press releases of the camera manufacturers and show a few blah

shots taken with the camera. The era of the Old PopPhoto, ModernPhoto (which got bought

by and subsumed into PopPhoto), Camera and the like are long gone. Even the better

British mags like Amateur Photography often put unknowledgeable people in charge of

reviews (like one a couple of years ago in which the reviewer or a 'vintage' Canon A-1

marveled at how he had to learn how to focus the camera himself -- yeesh).

WOW! They certainly don't do them like that anymore! It reminds me of the reviews here in the Japanese mags (Asahi Camera, Nippon Camera). They provide loads of technical data and they are very thorough. I started reading them about a year ago when I got here and there is such a huge difference in quality between the British mags I was used to and these Japanese ones. They've also been really inspiring in taking photos too. Well, I'd better stop there or it'll turn into a magazine review. Please post the FM2 and F2 reviews!!

You've heard thanks from a lot of folks, but I have to add my own. I continue to be impressed by my somewhat ratty F3 acquired just a couple of years ago, so much so that I just bought an even rattier one. They both work superbly. And now I understand them better.

Rolf in Toronto

• 2 weeks later...