Shutter sticks on EOS 630

j.d._ferguson

I was recently given a EOS 630 by a friend who knew I had been

saving up for a camera for my photojurnalism classes this

summer. Trouble is, the shutter sticks. Can anyone offer any

suggestions on how to check for minor problems I might be able

to fix before dragging it to a camera shop?

Thank you for your time.

J.D.

They do that. It's a common problem. The rubber bumper stops in the shutter mechanism "disintegrate" into a sicky, oily goo that coats the shutter blades. It happens on many vintage EOS bodies.

Do a search on terms like "sticky shutter EOS 630" and you'll probably find quite a few pages describing how to try to clean the gunk off the blades. It can be done at home, but you have to be careful. The blades are delicate,

You can try cleaning it carefully yourself with pure alcoho using cotton buds. But it's not a cure even with repeat cleaning though. Have the shutter unit replaced by Canon. It costs about $100- parts and labor.

Does anybody know where exactly these bumpers are located? I got a copy of the 650/620 repair manual and I can't find them on the "exploxed charts". The 600/630/RT shutter should be the same as the 650, right?

I have a RT that has this problem and it doesn't X-sync above 1/30s even after removing the gum. I'm brave enough for a DIY and I already have a spare 600 to pratice on. But I want to go through the whole procedure virtually before taking out the screwdrivers.

Siu Fai

The main bump rubber is located under the blades and middle/left of center looking from the back.

<BR>It's actually quite easy to bend the blade of a miniature screwdriver and (with a tissue pad on it)clean it all out.The trouble is of course that the shutter works fine then but with ruin it'self over time with no bumpstop rubber at all.

<br>PDF's of the 600/630 parts book are available on the net somewhere-i'll see if i still have the link.replacing the bumper rubbers -there are two of them-requires the mirror box to be removed.I've spoken to a local camera repairer who says it takes a couple of hours .Better you and him than me i say.LOL

<BR> Give it a go though!

Thanks Ron. I'm surely interested in the 600 part book. I went through the 650/620 repair manual and like you said you have to dissemble the whole camera to get to the shutter. Once you are there, you have to dissemble that as well. I guess I have to take a couple of days off to do it :(