(I think it's available in Asia only and now discontinued) for two

years and thought it's time to upgrade to something a little better. I

was wondering which would you guys recommend? EOS 300V/300 is also a

entry level SLR but they do have more features over more 88. while the

EOS 30 is more or less a pro-camera (am I right?) and it's been around

for quite sometime. This is the thing that bugs me. Should I get

something newer like 300V or older but more "profesional" like the EOS

30? Thanks in advance.

The 30 is an advanced amateur camera, not a pro camera.

<P>

Which camera is better depends on what you want to do. If you just want to take

snapshots for fun, then a consumer camera like the 300V is fine. But those cameras don't

give you the same level of control over the camera's functionality as a midrange camera

like the 30. If you're wanting to get more serious about photography have a look at the 30.

Don't worry about the age - or if that really bugs you, wait until the lightly revised 30V

comes out.

<P>

<A HREF="http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/"> http://photonotes.org/

articles/beginner-faq/</A>

Hi Yoong,

I went through a fairly simlar process to you a while ago. The 300V is a fine camera, and yes, does quite a lot. However, as soon as I held the 30 I knew that was the one. It felt much, much better in my hands. Also, I wanted a camera that would allow me to grow my photographic skills as I learnt, and the 30 has allowed me to do that. Its controls are a lot more customiseable (e.g. you can decide which focussing mode to use as opposed to having the 300V decide that for you) and also a lot faster to use (e.g. there are convenient dials and switches for things that the 300V require contortions with various button presses).

I know it's so often the case that people will always suggest the more expensive camera, but in my case there was no comparison and the 30 won hands down. If you want to keep your money, just don't try the EOS 3...!

As for whether to go for the 30 or wait for the 30V, as NK said there's only been a few mild revisions, so you could get the 30 now as its price has been dropping in anticipation of the new version.

I'll second (third?) the suggestion for the EOS-30, or even an EOS-33. These are far superior to the 300/300V in every way - features, control, handling, response and looks. In fact, I downgraded from an EOS-3 to a 30 because the 30 did everything I need, including flash ratio control with wireless flash, true mirror lockup for shooting macro, etc.

The choice of a body should be about what feels good in your hands, and the features that you need for your kind of photography. There's little point in paying for features you won't use, especially if you actually prefer the feel and ergonomics of a cheaper alternative. You can always put the money to better glass or D&P. The EOS 300V actually has extremely good ergonomics (it can be almost entirely operated with one hand), and a feature set that is not that far behind the EOS 30. It even does some things a bit better... brighter viewfinder, better AF performance, especially in low light, extremely easy to use partial metering that requires only a thumb press on the * button, large backlit LCD with more information, higher reach on the popup flash to reduce redeye and lens shadow problems. You should start by working out which features matter to the kind of shooting you do and the other equipment you have. For example, there's no point worrying about mirror lock up if you don't even have a decent tripod, as you won't really be able to use it without. If you're not sure whether a feature would be useful to the kind of photography you do, by all means come back and ask here. Then handle the bodies to see which you prefer (both bodies have their fans). There is a new version of the EOS 30 (30V) due in the shops soon, but apart from the new flash system and faster AF tracking in AI Servo mode and backlighting of the small LCD, it is virtually the same as the existing model.

I just went from my 300V of just over a year to a 10D. In terms of handling the 10D is far superior, mainly thanks to the addition of the qick-command dial on the back. You do have to do contortions as mentioned above to change, for instance, aperture when in manual mode on the 300V.

It is a fine little camera, the 300V, but if you are half serious and can get an EOS 30, I would say go for that.

But yes, handle both before deciding. Maybe the light and small 300V will suit your style of shooting more.

Hi,

I just upgraded from 300 to EOS 30 (Elan 7E as I bought it from the US). I love it, it feels great, has all the controls I need and is fast. Why I chose 30? My primary reasons were 1) speed (4 fps, AI servo controls, film transfer controls, fast autofocus) and the fact that it is 2) film, not digital. I figured that digital technology is still developing rapidly, so I'll wait for 1 - 2 year before going digital. I didn't want to go to EOS 3 since I am going digital in the near future. EOS 3 is even better :-). EOS 300 takes 1,5 fps and has much less controls (you cannot control AI servo, you'll have to use sports -mode in order to use IA servo, but then you can't control the aperture, not good for skiing or sailing photography). Basically, EOS 300 didn't fit my needs, but that is just me. EOS 300 is light and easy to carry around, EOS-30 is considerably heavier.

You have to decide for yourself. Both are good for something, but what are your needs?

Go for the EOS 30...

- Tapio

Oops, I forgot an important issue, price. Since Elan 7E / EOS 30 is discontinued (february 2004), it is rather cheap. It doesn't include any fancy technology that would lose value fast (compare with digital bodies!), so I think EOS 30 is of great value at the moment.

EOS 30 has also eye-control-focus that I think if of great value in some conditions. I haven't used it yet, but I think it could be very handy.

- Tapio

The EOS 300V is a creditable alternative to the EOS 30. You would lose the easily accessible exposure compensation dial and the ability to set onboard flash compensation. You will also lose the ability to use AI Servo focusing outside of the Sport PIC mode. You also lose the DEP mode (the 300V has the less capable A-DEP mode). Contrary to the last post the 300V shoots at 2.5 fps.

The EOS 30 has a true pentaprism while the 300V uses a mirror box. The pentaprism should be brighter but I haven't looked through a EOS 30 so I cannot swear. The max shutter speed on an EOS 30 is 1/4000 while on a 300V it is 1/2000 (whether that and the lack of AI Servo focusing matters to you depends on what you typically photograph). The EOS 30 flash syncs at 1/125 while the EOS 300V only at 1/90. I have a 300V and a Canon 550EX which works around the lack of FEC and allows high speed sync (useful for fill in flash). Accessing the EC is a tad annoying but becomes natural fairly fast.

What I would switch for would be a better viewfinder (brighter, more coverage), cross autofocus sensors, and a spotmeter. That means an EOS 3 at least. I do miss having FTM focusing but for most of the time this is not a big deal.

And now for something completely different:

I upgraded from a EOS 500n (Rebel G) to a EOS 1n, I (including BP-E1 and PB-E2) got it at least 100 Euro less then a new EOS 30 + BP. It has all the features one can think of excluding ECF. Since I allready own a 540 EZ and a nice collection of lenses I'm verry content with it. Although I got it second hand, it is well build so I think it will lest me a couple of years. And if it breaks down I just look at a secondhand 1V or 3.

If you stick with buying new, get the 30 or 30v and the BP, customizing your camera is great!

Michiel, Holland