Billingham Hadley small and S3

bob_jarman

Another newbie question, sorry. :)

I keep reading group comments around about the Billingham S3. All

of the on line stores I see sell the Hadley, which looks from the

pictures anyway to be about the same.

Is there a difference between these bags?

The S3 is an older model camera bag. I've seen one and to me looks too much like ladies' hand bag. The Hadley doesn't have a zip pocket, the S3 does. The Hadley has an removeable insert, the S3 doesn't. The S3 and Hadley Small are similar in size, which one you choose is personal preference.

I have a Hadley Original for my M6, 4 lenses, flash, film and stuff. I like it a lot.

Out of interest, on the subject of Hadley Bag - does anyone know if it is possible to store a Leica M6, in an ERC with a standard lens fitted, inside any version of this bag or is it necessary to always remove the ERC+lens first.

Although I don't use "never-ready cases", I carry two M6's with 35 Summicron and 50 Summicron attached (with hoods) inside my Pro Hadley. There's plenty of room for both of them as well as a 90mm Elmar-C (with folded hood) and a 21mm Voigtlander in the VC case plus the rectangular hood, handheld meter, cell phone, two-way radio plus a bunch of other stuff. The front pockets can hold 20-50 rolls of film, cleaning kit and tripod head adapter and there's room in the back for a filter wallet, plastic bags, spare batteries, etc. If I want to, I can also squeeze in an old 13.5cm Hektor for some fuzzy portraits.

Well that sounds plenty roomy to me and I certainly take your word for it. I asked the question because the internal dimensions given on their web site make the depth sound too narrow to do this.

Hadley Pro dimensions:

External Dimensions

W350 x D120 x H250mm

W13,3/4 x D4,3/4 x H9,3/4ins

Internal Dimensions

W320 x D70 x H225mm

W12,1/2 x D2,3/4 x H8,3/4ins

Hadleys are amazingly roomy. At one time I carried my Hasselblad around in mine. Now it holds an M3 with Summicron and hood, a Nikon F with 35mm and hood, a 135mm Nikkor and a 90mm Elmar. There's still tons of room to drop in my meter (an *enormous* Gossen Profisix in its case) and any odds and ends. The pockets will hold at least ten rolls of film plus notebook (old fashioned paper variety) and pen.

Tough isn't the word and nobody gives it a second glance because it looks like an old haversack.

I'm a big Billingham fan. I actually bought the Pro Hadley because I thought it looked nice and it is advertised as being waterproof. And it is a great-looking, very well-built bag. I was surprised at how much equipment it holds. I'm not kidding about how much I can carry. Right now, mine only holds 15 spare rolls of film loosely packed in the front pockets and I'm not carrying the Hektor or the two-way and the silly thing looks half empty. Of course, I like to keep my equipment as compact as possible. I suppose one could fill the bag pretty quick by using super-speed lenses or faster, long lenses, motor drives, etc.

I have a Hadley small and love it! I can carry one or two bodies with 35 an 50 attached and a 21 and 15 back to back in the middle. Film and meter in the outer pockets. It's great!

So much so that I am considering a bigger Hadley for my SLR stuff when my Domkes wear out (yes, they do...gone through two of them and now have two others).