70-200/2.8 IS and 10d...........scary combo !

WM

Hi folks,

After deliberating for about 1-2 years about the 70-200/4, 70-

200/2.8, 70-200/2.8IS and Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM, I bit the bullet and

ended up with the IS version ! (After using the 75-300/4-5.6 non-usm

for 10 years). Of course, this was after doing much research on

photonet and seeing people's advice on these matters.

My first thoughts were..........

1. Yikes ! This is huge ! (As you've noticed, I ordered online).

2. The image quality is amazing.

3. The weight is astounding !

4. I am so glad I got the IS !

My question is, if I hang this 1.6kg lens on the 10d, will the strap

of the 10d is on the camera body, would the lens mount break off or

get deformed somehow ?

I have heard that if this lens is used on the 300d, and hung from the

camera strap this may happen ?

I know that this sounds ignorant, but the heaviest lens I have ever

owned is only about 0.5kg, and just want to be sure of what I am

doing before doing a very expensive mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Wee-Ming

Hello Pierre, I am glad that you have thought about this issue as well.

I don't hold the camera horizontal and let the lens hang off the camera either.

I guess my question is if hanging the lens off the camera when the camera is not being used is OK ? (because the strap ois attached to the camera, not the lens). ?

Thanks.

Regards, Wee-Ming

Pierre: "I'm afraid it could deform the body, which would then affect focus. "

That's absurd. The 10D has a Magnesium alloy body and metal lens mount. It will not

deform simply by carrying it by the camera strap, I can assure you.

The 300D (digital Rebel) has a plastic body. It is potentially more likely to be

damaged if you bang it against a table or other solid object while slung from the

camera strap.

The long heavy lenses are supplied with a tripod collar, not because they are likely to

snap the mount, but because it is easier to maneuver the tripod head with the weight

evenly distributed then if it's hung way over the front.

The only damage likely to occur by carrying a 10D + 70-200IS by a camera strap is a

crick in your neck. :-)

I would certainly LIKE to think that the Canon engineering dept. knew or was told that SOMEBODY is going to strap on a 10D (or any Canon body) with a lens that size and then walk around with it, and built accordingly.

There are enough of these lenses out there, along with so many different types of Canon bodies, that I think we'd have had lots of reports if this was a real problem

Over on a different group, full of flamers and complainers, there were never even any reports of problems with the "plastic" mounts on the Rebels

Is there a way to attach the strap to the lens instead of the camera (similar to the way it mounting on a tripod)? Really, you attach the camera to this kind of lens, not the other way around. Any suggestions? After-market solutions? (I have digital rebel and am awaiting any moment a sigma 70-200 2.8 with similar weight, >1kg)

A friend of mine worked as a PJ for a local rag and used a Nikon F4 and 80-200 2.8 Nikkor. He carried it all day, everyday, for months, often running and jumping off curves and stairs. After a few months he noticed his images were strangely unsharp. Nikon service replaced and realigned his lens mount, damaged due to stress. Obviously a weekend warrior's camera will never endure the same kind of torture. However, I doubt the 10D is anywhere near the tank the F4 is.

If you're worried, carry the rig in a Tamrac "lens bridge" bag (613 or 614) or Tamrac Velocity 9 and pull it out when you need it. My 10D/EF 70-200 4L USM fit fine in both types of bags with the hood off or reversed. The 2.8 version isn't much longer (just fatter and heavier). Oh, you should start weight training now, before you injury yourself in the field!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Before I had a 1n I used a 500n (Rebel G) with my 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L USM IS, this consumer camera has a plastic lens mount. Although I carried this combo by the strap every now and then I never had any problems with it. With the 1n I always carry this combo by the strap.

Michiel, Holland

OT: I advise you to get the grip as well. It will make the combo even heavier but will make for a much more comfortable handling.

There are some third party straps which are more thick and padded and you may feel more comfortable with them. Canon makes such as well but they are more expensive.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

Interesting.

I have been thinking about this as well.

I'm using EOS-1n and I often have my 200mm f1.8, with a weight of 3kg, or a bit over 6lb... And I usually support the lens by holding its tripod mount when walking, but it's just so uncomfortable, and I don't really dare leav the whole combo just hanging of the camera strap, combined weight of 4kg.

Suggestions? Will the lens mount hold?

I am thinking, how hard can it be to make a strap/harness that grips the lens somewhere around the tripod collar (and perhaps combines with the regular strap, or not). That way the weight will be born by the lens, at a very balanced point too. May look a bit dorky, but tell that to the mount. And if made well it does not have to.

Anyone seen something like that? I searched a bit, but did not find anything. Is there a business opportunity here, or what?

The 70-200 f/2.8 IS is on my wishlist, but I doubt I'll ever buy it. I'm very satisfied with the 70-200 f/4, particularly since with digital it's so easy to change ISO on the fly. Although weight's not an issue, the f/4's length makes it unwieldy enough, even though it's nearly an inch shorter than the f/2.8.

Hi folks,

I never knew that there were so many people who wondered about this issue. I don't know about the 10d. It seems to be built quite well, but when I shoot with my EOS3, the built is still somehow better than the 10d. I seem to trust the sturdiness about the EOS 3 better than the 10d, and I would sling the lens+EOS3 anyday without thinking about it. I believe the 1n, 1v, 1d or 1Ds will be built better than the EOS3, so should not pose any problems.

For example, if you have access to any of the EOS 3 or 1 series cameras and also a 10d, check out the metal ring that you loop the strap through. On the 10d, it is made from what seems like a piece of metal sheet stuck on the camera, though thicker than what you'd get on the EOS 500/300 cameras. On the EOS3 and 1 cameras, that loop is a tough, thick piece of metal that seems to be bolted inside the camera body and protrudes out for you to use.

So, anyone found any solutions yet ?

Keep on shootin'

Wee-Ming

I'm not sure your analogy holds up. All things being equal (which they aren't), sure I'd rather use a faster lens of any given focal length (range). All I've said is that the physical dimensions of the 70-200 f/2.8 lens (even more so than its weight and price) make it an less desirable choice for me than the slower f/4 version.

Back to your analogy, however, your mileage may vary. It's an individual thing.

Best regards, Jon

I will occasionally will hold the 70-200 f/2.8L IS or 100-400L lens by the camera, but typically only for a couple of seconds while I pull it out of a bag. I never hold my 300 f/2.8L IS by the camera, so I wouldn't think of holding the 200 f/1.8 by the camera. With all of this said, I have read of a number of PJs who let the 70-200 swing off the camera all the time. I have read where one did have some warping of the lens mount after a year of doing this. I doubt most people on this board fall into this category though.

Since I only have the 70-200 f/4 I cannot address the issue from that perspective.

however, I do have a 100-400 L, and I carry that quite often hanging from the body of

either my 10d or A2. I have never had any trouble with either body as a result of carrying

the lens. I use the 100-400 as my "carnival" lens, to pick people out of crowds, so it's

almost always hanging and rarely on a tripod mount.

What i worry about far more than the lens mount is the strap. I never use straps with

quick-release clips when I'm carrying a heavy lens on a heavy body. The thought of $3000

dollars of equipment hitting the pavement keeps me awake at night.