Suggestions for manual Nikon body?

lindsay_robb

Second the recommendation for the N90s. Very cheap right now, works fine with all the AI

and AIS lenses, DOF preview (in anything but the silly Program mode), pretty decent wind

speed (4.3 fps max), and the finder illumination is great, if you ever shoot in available

darkness. Biggest downside is no mirror lock-up, so you'll have to judge if that's a killer

for your macro work; I end up using my F3 for macro, but then you're into that whole F3

flash mount thing . . .

<em>Small, light weight, easy manual focus, interchangeable

focus screens...<br>

</em><br>

W/ TTL Flash: Nikon FM3a (FE3), FE2.<br>

<br>

W/O TTL Flash Nikon FM2n, FM2, FE<br>

<br>

<em>Medium-small, medium-light weight, etc. W/ TTL Flash<br>

</em><br>

Nikon F3, F3HP<br>

<br>

<em>Large, medium-heavy, W/ everything<br>

</em><br>

Nikon F5<br>

<br>

The Nikon F5 thought not a manual body makes a great

camera for AI and AIS Nikkors as well as AF-D, AF-S and AF-S G VR

Nikkors. The F5 does not offer matrix metering with manual focus

Nikkors unless they are modified with a chip but I was never

impressed with the matrix metering of the F4s anyway. <br>

<br>

My favorite odd couple is the Nikon F5 and FM3a. The prism and

focus screens of the F5 are great for manual focus and the F5 has

the size and weight to balance well with larger Nikkor lenses.

The Nikon FM3a is small and light for easy mobility and fast

shooting with fast AI and AIS primes. On a budget the FE2 is a

fine substituted for the FM3a. These cameras complement each

other very well.<br>

<br>

I do not own the FM3a because I already owned FE2(s) and FM2n(s).

I also own the F5, F100 and F3 (I love NAS!). I used to own the F4s

and had issues with macro metering, lack of an AF-ON button and

slow AF. I used it almost exclusively with AI and AIS Nikkors and

used center-weighted metering. My only AF lens was an AF 60/2.8

Micro-Nikkor until near the end.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

"The FM3a is overpriced..."

Overpriced compared to what - an older camera in worse condition no longer in production that may need a CLA anyway? My FM3a cost only $370 in mint condition. Compared to what these cameras must cost to produce today, Nikon must be losing money on every FM3a they make.

"...you can't see the meter in the dark." Most people shooting in pitch blackness are going to be using AE or bulb mode for time exposures anyway. But in dim light, with the FM3a's plain matte accessory screen and my less than perfect eyesight, I can see the readout in any light bright enough to suffficiently compose a scene through the lens. Speaking for myself, I can't stand those crude over-on-under LED displays.

Off the track, but just a point here. Actually Glen, I work in a camera store and have access to warehouse prices. Most people do not realise where all their cash goes for a camera.

The camera stores usually only make at the most, 10% profit. Then out of that they have to pay wages, taxes, utility bills, property tax, etc etc

The camera manufacturers on the other hand make at LEAST 100% on almost every camera they sell. And while they also have to pay wages etc., these are expenses in east asia and much cheaper than in the west.

So on an FM3A you might pay ?500 in the UK. The shop would make approx. ?50 profit and Nikon would have made approx. ?225 profit.

Just a bit of info in case anyone was interested. I know that most people in the shop that are always pushing for a lower price do not believe me when I tell them I can't do a lower price or else we would lose money. They always give me that "yeah, tell me another one" look!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Thanks for all the suggestions! This is exactly the kind of forum I wanted!

After HOURS of research I finally settled on an FE2. I got a beautiful one for about 70 sterling. I was almost going to bite the bullet and go for an FM3A but decided it wasn't worth the extra 120 quid. Now I can spend some of the money I saved from my EOS kit sale on a micro lens.

Thanks everyone!

• 5 months later...
Profit margin is one thing Lindsay, production costs quite another. Figuring that the FM3a is still made in Japan, with its high labor costs, all-metal & ball-bearing construction, the camera must still be losing money for them on a per unit, after deducting tooling costs for a camera with such a relatively small production volume.