Suggestions for manual Nikon body?

lindsay_robb

I have decided to replace my EOS kit with a manual Nikon kit. I am a

bit new to Nikon but have now figured out the different lens mounts.

I have been given an F-301 and 2 AIS lenses but I have to change the

camera body, as I have need of depth of field preview. My perfect

camera would I think be exactly like the F-301 but with this depth of

field preview! I like the aperture priority and I even like the

program option (I don't use it much but I like the option). I might

be willing to give up the program mode. And I like that the camera

winds the film on. I'm not keen on having to wind it on myself but I

guess I would get into the habit quickly. I don't really want to make

the camera bigger/bulkier by adding a winder. Oh, and I would need

very occassional flash, so a hot shoe would be nice (I have noticed

that F2A's do not use flash easily).

So...any suggestions? Someone has suggested an FE2, which I have

played with a bit but it does not have program mode and I would have

to manually wind on. Someone else suggested an FM2 but this doesn't

even appear to have aperture priority. I think the FE2 is winning at

the moment but I would like to know if there might possibly be

a 'perfect' match out there for what I am looking for?

Lindsay, bodies which have program mode and auto film rewind are mostly AF bodies, there are only a few non-AF models with these features: F-301, F-601M as far as I know, but both are without DOF preview. The FA has program mode, DOF preview but manual film revind. The FG has program mode, but also manual film rewind and no DOF preview. It's hard to find exactly what you want. I'd suggest an AF-body like the F-801, F90, F4. With these cameras you can use AIS or AF lenses, and you have all other features you think of.

Why are you raplacing your EOS kit? Presumably with that you've got program and auto film wind, so most of your wishes really.

To get all your requirements really means a modern (hence AF) body, like the F4 or F5 (both pricey). I'm not even sure that the F90 or F801 have pDoF previews (could be wrong though).

The FE2, FM2 and FA were all great cameras in their day, but bear in mind that most will be quite old now and even the most reliable kit fails in time, and may not now be repairable.

Steve

Sounds like you're looking for an F4.

On the other hand, I'd say that program mode isn't a big deal - worse than that, using a manual-focus camera and letting the camera choose the aperture for you sounds even odd. I'd have a hard time living without aperture-priority, but I guess that's my shooting style.

Manually winding the film is not a big deal in my opinion. I had no problem doing it with my FE.

I'd take a look at the FG, FA, FE2 and FM3a (which I like to think of as an FE3), all of which do TTL flash. Only the first 2 have program mode. Flash sync on the last 3 is 1/250s, vs. 1/90s for the FG.

When I hear "manual Nikon body" I imagine a Nikon that's at least somewhat lightweight, well-built, durable, with mechanical film transport, preferably having ability to operate without batteries. The F4 does not meet these criteria except being well-built and durable.

I think you are looking for an FM3A/FM2n or an F3.

N90s (F90X). Not too heavy, great metering systems, built-in motor drive, great

viewfinder, use your MF lenses, and are dime-a-dozen on the used market. You asked for

manual focus only, but coming off an EOS body, you'll probably change your mind down

the road, so why limit yourself? The F4 is bigger, heavier, AF performance is sluggish, and

nobody really needs Matrix metering anyway. Or, splurge and get used F100. Good luck

with your decision.

List a price range and requirements on the size and weight. I think wanting a "manual" camera and automatic film advance seems kind of strange. You could get something like an FE2 or FA with a motor drive attachment or something new like an F100, F5, or F6 which allow full manual operation or fully automatic.

What's the point of a manual body if you want automatic film advance, aperture priority, and program modes? An FM3a has aperture priority along with manual control of exposure and TTL flash capabilities, but you'd have to add a winder. The FE2 is about the same (except that it won't function without batteries), but the FM3a is still in production.

The FM2n. The FM3a is overpriced and you can't see the meter in the dark.

You could also get an FE2 if you really think aperture priority is cool...but you have the

F301 for that. Anything aperture priority cannot do long exposures at night without

draining the battery and locking up.

Or, you could just use the F301 and decide later.

My FE2 makes great exposures in night in aperture priority mode. At least out to around 1.5 minutes which is the most I've tried and I've never had any trouble with the batteries. They last for years. Are you trying to make hour long exposures? Mr. Rockwell seems to imply that the EM is the best body for super long exposures <a href="http://kenrockwell.com/tech/time.htm">http://kenrockwell.com/tech/time.htm</a>

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't really see why having manual focus but autowind is so unusual. If it was that weird of a request then why do Nikon do separate winders for almost all their manual focus cameras?

To answer someone's question, I am getting rid of the EOS gear for two reasons really. I don't like how expensive the lenses are since I almost always focus manually. I am switching to Nikon prime lenses because they can beat Canon prime lenses hands down. The Nikon manual focus lenses are some of the best lenses ever made. I don't like the size of the EOS cameras or the plasticky feel and I don't want the weight of upgrading to a better EOS body.

Hmm. I think that's about it! :)

By the way, I manually focus most of the time because I do a lot of macro photography.

Anyway, at least everyone seems to agree that I can't have everything I want!

Thanks for all the help!

There is a trick to get DOF preview on an F-301 body (or others without a DOF preview button). This text is from Q.-Tuan Luong at http://www.terragalleria.com/photography/35mm/nikon-af.html

"Press the lens release button, and begin to rotate your lens as if you were going to remove it, but rotate it partially so that it is still well connected to the body. At this point if you look in the viewfinder you should see that the lens is stopped down, and you can play with the f-stop ring and see its effect."

Umm....don't drop the lens.

HD

I think the FE2 or FM3a would be the best Nikon cameras for your needs for the following reasons:

<ul>

<li>The both have aperture priority, which is enough automation for most needs. You set the aperture and therefore depth-of-field, giving you complete control over the image. It also indirectly controls the shutter speed - if you need a fast shutter simply open the aperture more. I don't think you will miss the lack of Program mode, which gives you very little control.

<li>Both have depth of field preview.

<li>They are compact and light weight, like the F-301. They are also very well made with simple, clearly laid out controls and a good solid feel in the hands (unlike many of the plastic AF cameras).

<li>Both have very good viewfinder screens, which show clearly what is in focus. AF cameras have very bright viewfinder screens but some don't clearly show the difference between "sharp" and "nearly sharp" so accurate focusing is harder.

<li>They have 1/250 flash sync which is a full stop faster than the F-301, useful for fill-flash in daylight.

<li>I admit, these cameras don't have a built-in winder but you'll quickly get used to using your thumb - uses less batteries too. Winders are useful for quick-action photography so you can keep your eye to the viewfinder and concentrate on the scene, but otherwise I don't miss having one. If you do need a winder, you can add the MD-12, but of course this adds to the weight and bulk of the camera.

</ul>

The FE2 and FM3a are classic cameras. They have an excellent set of features in a compact, simple and clear package, without being overloaded with "bells and whistles". Try them out, I think you'll grow to like them.

As someone has already pointed out, one with almost every auto feature, especially a auto-winding, but only AF (auto-focus) as to a 'manual' body that you'd like to have is probably not exist. So in addition to everyone's comment, I'd suggest a F801s (N8008s), F90x (N90s), or F4(s) with a split focusing screen, K (horizontal) or P (diagonal), that are specially designed for manual focus AND good for auto-focus as well.

"I don't really see why having manual focus but autowind is so unusual. If it was that weird of a request then why do Nikon do separate winders for almost all their manual focus cameras?"

Lindsay, they don't make winders for rewinding the film. The main reason for a winder is fast film advance for sports, wildlife..., not to rewind (this is only an additional feature).

I echo what Richard Laepple said in his last post.

That is an old trick with most, if not all, SLR cameras.

You said you do a lot of macrophotography. This trick will be more hindrance than help in close macros by upsetting the camera distance/composition. You may even damage your lens if it drops.

Big question: How much do you want to spend ?

FE2s and FAs are great manual cameras and the FA used the batteries from the autowinder

when it is attached. Both tend to sell for close to or above $200 at auctions or in online

stores. Obviously , condition changes this.

The N90s is much newer and I believe has the features you want, if it has the winder

attached, and it goes for just about $200 or a bit above on auction sites. You can use old

MF lenses and newer AF lenses with it.

Hi Lindsay,

I'm also switched from Canon and I know what you feel exactly.

Look I have N80, N90s, F100, F5 after that I bought F4s.

With This Camera You will find what you want and missed in Canon with all my respect to canon. Go and try it.

This Camera is a tank built in a shape of camera, I like it very much, it will meter with old MF lenses and the modern lenses but not with G type(P,S only). You can reduce its weight by removing its grip mb-21 and use mb-20 then it will turn to a normal camera without extra weight( litle heavy).

So it works as manual and auto focus camera but not fast like F100 or F5.

However there are a lot to know about this beast which are now in handy range.

F4 is the mother of all manual lenses cameras.

Good Luck