Polaroid 55 P/N controversy

deniz_merdan

Ok here is the deal... $79cad for a pack of 10.. and you only get to

use Pozitive or the negative... don't you think there is a little

problem here?

I haven't used the film yet but been reading the threads alot here

and most of you use it for it's negative..

can someone tell me if they experienced a perfect negative + positive

at the same time??

regards...

No, I have never acheived both at once. It would be nice, but that just isn't the way it seems to work so accept it - or call Polaroid, maybe they haven't heard this complaint before. Sorry.

You can expose it for a perfect negative and then look at the overexposed print and see if the framing and focus are alright. It is the same price as the print only types, so i don't see what the big deal is.

You get your perfect print after you put your perfect negative in the perfect enlarger(Omega D2!) Or you shoot two sheets, one for the perfect negative and one for the perfect print. Or you scan your perfect print, making all that lovely silver you spent $2 a sheet on into pixels and forget about the crummy negative. Or you move up to 5x7 so you won't be tempted to make Polaroids and concentrate on contact prints instead. ---------Cheers!

So the idea is being able to get a negative when needed or a print when needed. I was thinking it was the perfect P/N at the same time.. oh well..

today my store told me that it was $79 for a pack of 10. I ordered 1. Its good to hear its a pack of 20.

anybody know where can i find sodium sulfate?

and i've been hearing that some people put them in to containers with water on location and process later. but polaroid site says dont do it.. whats the deal??

Deniz,

wichever spelling your comfortable with, you can also help prevent scratches, as recommended by Polaroid,by treating the processed negative (after clearing in water and sodium sulphite/sulfite)in a solution of Kodak Rapid Fix with Hardener (parts A & B)for two minutes. This solution should be made up and used in accordance with Kodak�s recommended mix procedures, chemical caution statements, wash times and temperatures.

Deniz,

As Jon said, optimum negative and print are formed at different speeds.

Print quality of 55 is not as good as 52. If you are looking for good print go to get

As others said 55(4X5") comes in package of 20 sheets.

There is another P/N film, 665(3 1/4 X 4 1/4") comes in a pack of 10.

Polaroid says you should clear the negative w/ Sodium sulfite powder

(anhydrous/desiccated) which you can get from Kodak.

Outdoor usage of 55 is possible in a plastic container(put a wet paper

towel between negatives). Because negatives are very fragile, could easily

be scratched.

You can even clear negatives of 55 w/ warm water. But, If you have an access

to proper sodium sulfite, you should always use it.

Good luck!

<p>"Sodium Sulfite" and &Sodium Sulphite" are two names for the same substance -- the latter is the British spelling. See <a href="http://www.jackspcs.com/chemdesc.htm#SOD_SULFITE">Jack's Photographic and Chemistry Site</a>.</p>

<p>Sodium Sulfite is such a commonly used photo chemical that some photography stores stock it. All of the retailers that specialize in photo chemicals will have it, e.g., <a href="http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/">Artcraft Chemical</a> or <a href="http://www.photoformulary.com/">Photographers' Formulary</a>. Very likely you can also find it at a local chemical supplier. You don't need a high grade such as reagent.</p>

• 3 years later...
It's amazing how many people just throw numbers around when the information is so readily available from Polaroid's own website or on the darn box itself. Whoever said the print is rated 64 to 100 ISO is one stop off on the 100 side. I don't think anybody could rate the print at ISO 100 on their own tests either (i know some people like to do that, like Ansel himself would). Usually when someone rates ISO, it's LOWER than what's advertised. Never higher. 54 is ISO 100... 55 is ISO 50. The print, that is.