Max picture size from D100

bryan_terce

Depends on what your definition of "acceptable" is. Many of us have printed up to 20x30" and get very nice prints. I've heard of larger, although I'd prefer a healthy viewing distance. Depends on the detail in the subject, as well. For most prints above 8x10, you'll want a little interpolation - either in PS when you prepare your file, or by the printer/lab (Lightjets and Frontiers will upsize for you).

What size, subject and viewing distance did you have in mind? You can likely go as big as your framing budget will allow....

As Chris pointed out the viewing distance is very important. The size of the print and the viewing distance usually go hand in hand. A larger size photo is under normal conditions viewed from a further distance than a smaller photo.

So you may well use pictures from the D100 and print them large enough to fit a wall with acceptable quality if they are viewed from a few meters away (as might in an exhibition).

i print 12x18 inches all the time, you need to get right up to the photo, to start to see the pixels. typically it will sit on a wall, and no one will ever know its not a film photograph, actually, 35mm will be grainier at 12x18, then a 6mp image...in my opinion anyway.

As it has already been pointed out, viewing distance is the key factor here. You can make a billboard-size image from the D100. It'll look fine as long as you view it from a distance.

I mentioned earlier that I went to a wedding photography seminar. A lot of professional wedding photographers use the D1x, D100, and Canon D60 and 10D, all 6MP DSLRs, and make 20"x30" prints (about 50x75 cm). Those large prints look perfectly fine to me.

Turning back the calendar a few years, when the CP 990 was named DIGITAL

CAMERA OF THE YEAR, there was a lot of hoopla and marketing going on. A billboard

was made from that 3.3 MP model. Viewing distance is the rule governing the size of

the image. Practically speaking, most folks don't want to do a billboard, but the rule

is the same with regard to image size. You can go to a well equipt camera store, and

ask to see various sized prints from the D100. They may even let you shoot and print

your own photos right there in the store. That will answer your question better than

what you may be able to get here.

for 100% flawless resolution, you take the number of pixles and devide it by the PPI resolution of the image. In the case of the D100, it shoots 3008x2000 pixles. Simple math will tell you the maximum (flawless) size you can print to is 10x6.7.

You can however print VERY good images far beyond this size. I have a few 24x16 photos printed myself on an epson 7600 that look dam near flawless, even at a viewing distance of a single foot.