mounting 645 slides

pamela_lott

Gepe makes 645 glass and glassless mounts and a film cutter to cut the film to exactly the correct size. Even when one edge is too dark to see the edge of the frame.

They can be ordered from any camera store if your local dealer does not stock them.

gepe also makes a press to aid in closing the mounts as well as light boxes from 4x5" to 9x 12" and a slide viewer for looking at the slides.

I've been using 645 slide mounts from HAMA for the past 8 years, mount #1161. I ordered several hundred a couple of years ago, from Profoto in NYC I think. These are glassless. I found the Gepe and Wess mounts to be difficult (both glassless and glass) because the film is laid down loose on one half of the mount and held in place only after the 2nd a half of the mount is then laid on top to form the "sandwich". Precise mounting would have to be done by first taping the film in place to the 1st half, then adding the 2nd half. If anyone with more experience w/ these mounts knows something I don't - please speak up! I've never had popping problems with projecting slides in these mounts. That can happen in mounts that "lock" the film in place on all 4 sides, allowing no room for thermal expansion. That's typically a problem with cardboard 35mm mounts. The HAMA 1161 mount has a "lip" on the 1st half to secure the film in place. It's sufficiently secure that I haven't had a problem with the film moving before getting the 2nd half in place. The 2nd half has 2 plastic pins which align opposite 2 holes on either side of the lip on the 1st half. When the sandwich is squeezed, these pins pierce the film (well outside the picture area) resulting in a pin-registered slide. The film is locked on the pinned side but has expansion room on the other 3 sides. Overall, the film is held firmly in place and is flat enough that curvature hasn't been a problem in projection either. I use glassless mounts because they are MUCH cheaper, hold my film flat enough for printing and projecting, and (if mishandled) won't rip through my slide as broken glass can. I hope this helps!

" I found the Gepe and Wess mounts to be

difficult (both glassless and glass) because the film is laid down loose on one half of the mount and held in place

only after the 2nd a half of the mount is then laid on top to form the "sandwich""

But then this is not how Gepe mounts are used.

Each side of a Gepe mount has a metal mask that has 2 slots.

The film is put in the slots and the mount is closed.

If you don't know how to do this you are welcome to call us at 800 735 4373 and we would be happy to instruct you on the proper procedure.