lens, I'm looking for something between 160 and 205mm I know there is

several Ektars that fit in that range and are usually safe choices,

But I'm wondering what other makes in that range I could look for? are

there certain ones I should avoid? Any shutters I should avoid?. My

last view camera was 15 years ago ( BJ 4x5 with a Wollensak lens) I

have pretty much forgotten what little I did know. Thanks in advance

for any advise

Rick

When you locate a lens/shutter that you are considering buying, I suggest using the advanced search page of google to search photo.net for info about that lens/shutter. The answers to this question won't be able to cover all possibilities. In the unlikely case that the lens isn't mentioned in the archive, then you can ask specifically about it.

Any shutter older than roughly 1970 is likely to need a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust), unless a CLA has already been done, so consider this possible expense when evaluating an older lens -- it might not be such a bargin compared to a newer lens in a shutter that is still working well.

The most common, reliable shutters are Copals and Compurs. These are excellent except for the very old Compurs that have a small dial for setting the speed. There are other fine, reliable shutters, so search the archive if you are considering a different shutter. Most of the others will be sufficiently old that they might need a CLA.

Almost any Kodak, Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon, Fuji lens in this focal length will be a fine choice for 4x5. The various types of Schneider Symmars are common on the used market. The Caltars are lenses made by Ilex, Schneider or Rodenstock and sold by Calumet. They can be bargins because they don't have the original manufacturers name on them, but this will also reduce the resale value.

The Ektars are excellent, but a large fraction of the ones that I have seen have suffered abuse and had substantial "cleaning marks", which really means scratches or loss of coating. I suggest only buying if you have a right to return for a refund. All will be old enough that the shutter is likely to need a CLA.

I would recommend the 203mm 7.7 Ektar. Very sharp, contrasty, compact, and designed to cover 5x7. Mine is in a Supermatic shutter. I typically have the shutters serviced on lenses I buy, CLA, as recommended above, and mine has been great. I don't think you'll be disappointed, if you get a good example of that lens/shutter combination. I had to make two tries at getting a good one through eBay. The first one was not in the condition described in the listing, but the seller was not very knowledgable, and refunded my payment immediately. The second one was a keeper. I paid a little over $200 for it, and another $50 for CLA. I haven't followed prices recently, but they may be lower now. Good Luck

Thanks for the advise so far it has been a big help!.

There was a camera show in the area today (Albany NY) most of the LF lenses were 127 and 135 for old press cameras. There was a D.O. 210mm 5.6 in a copal 1 shutter that the seller said was made by Fuji. It was very clean, the glass was free of *cleaning marks*. and the shutter sounded ok. He only wanted $75 for it so I figured something must be wrong. I haven't found any information on that lense so far, anyone else have any knowledge of this lense?

D.O. Industries was the US importer of Fuji LF lenses before Fuji stopped official imports to the US market. It is plausible that before D.O. Industries sold Fuji lenses as Fuji that they might have sold some under their own name. For what you describe, $75 is a super bargin. A used Copal 1 shutter (excluding perhaps some Polaroid variants) normally goes for more, so the glass is essentially free.

I did some more research early this am.From what I can gather is that when Fuji pulled out of the US market D.O. put thier name on Fuji Lenses for awhile. I have the number of the guy who was selling the lens I'll call him today and re-examine it again if he still has it. This might be a good find!. He also has a Rodenstock Sironar-n 210, 5,6 in a copal, I didn't ask the price but that might be worth checking out also. I think I read somewhere though that the sironar may be too big to hang on a press camera ?

best deals I got yesterday was 4 brand-new-never-used 4x5 film holders for $8 each, and a Brockway S meter ( daddy of the Sekonic 398) with all of the slides and domes for $12

Another thing to think about: will you be using the camera's optical viewfinder or it's rangefinder? They can both contribute to the ability to hand-hold the camera and expand your photographic opportunities.

If you do wish to use these features, you'll want to match the focal length of the lens you buy to the viewfinder's field - probably in the 127 to 150mm range.