Epson 1290 lays down ink unevenly despite normal nozzle check

Hi All!

I've purchased used Epson 1290 and found serious problem with it.

There is uneven placement of ink. There are many regular lines on the print. It looks like on some lines there is not enough ink while on some other lines there is too much ink.

Lines seen on every resolution. On low resolution its worse then on high res.

Head is clean. All nozzles show normal traces in nozzle test.

May be someone knows can it be fixed or not? How to fix this?

Thanks!

A couple of non-expert thoughts.

Are the cartridges OEM or third party? While some have good experience with non Epson cartridges, many, many folks have a problem with them.

Do you have the most recent drivers for the printer?

Do you have another printer, & does that work OK?

Good luck

Sounds like the lines are parallel to the print head movement direction fom what you describe. It could be that you need to carry out the 'head angular adjustment' procedure. This is normally a service procedure, so you won't find it described in consumer literature.

<p>

However, you can download a <a href="http://www.epson.co.uk/repair/pdfs/inkjet/stylus%20photo%20870-1270%20service%20manual%20rev%20b.pdf">service manual for the Epson 1270</a>. It's 13Mb!

<p>

I know you've got a 1290, but I believe that the 1290 is mechanically very similar to the 1270.

<p>

If you were to carry out this procedure yourself, you'd need to use a special service program to print the appropriate test pattern (not a nozzle check). You can get the <a href="http://www.epson.co.uk/repair/programs/stylus/sp870,1270/sp871270.zip">program for the 1270 here</a>. Trouble is, I have no idea whether that would work with the 1290. Alas, I haven't managed to locate either the service manual or program for the 1290. You also have to use Win98 for the program and connect the printer using a parallel cable; a USB connection won't work with the program.

Hi Dennis,

I have a 1290 also. I have also seen that problem. More so with B&W printing. I find

that different paper has a huge effect. I now use Epson only because of this problem.

This weekend, I plan to try and play with the height adjustment. I read a thread where

it was said that this can increase or decrease the dispersion of the ink.

If you find out what works, please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks to all for answers!

/Rich B/ - I use Epson cartridges. I believe that I have lates version of driver. I'dont have another printer to try cartridges :-(

/Steve Bright/ - Yes, lines are parallel to the print head movement direction, you are right. Thank you very much for usefull links. I read repair manual for 1270 and dowload the program. Program works for 1290 but not completely. I've printed test pattern for head angular adjustment and found that it more or less OK. I can't find angular adjustment lever as shown in service manual for 1270. Seems that 1290 have different printing head contruction. Also in one angular adjustment test print I found that one line which should be magenta was printed as black! So may be the problem in printers main board.

/Jim Hennessy/ - I've tried various papers/resolutions/head-to-paper distances and always get bad results. I have a real defect in my printer :-(

I've decided to give my printer in to Epson service center for repair and adjustment.