Canon 10d or Digital Rebel?

I am an old time Canon user and have a few 1VHS cameras with few

fantastic L series lenses. Recently I sold my older Canon digital

cameras and purchased the Digital Rebel.

I want to know is there anyone out there who compared the Digital

Rebel with 10D? If so what did you think and what did you like and

or dislike about the cameras? I am thinking of purchasing the 10D

and want to see if it is worth it to do it or not. Your comments

would be appreciated.

For me, the construction alone was worth the extra money for the 10D.

Some people complain about not being able to select autofocus modes in the creative zone (especially AI servo), or the lack of on-body flash exposure compensation, an issue with the 420EX.

Has your line of work subjected the 1V's you've owned to harsh treatment and/or inclement weather? If so you'll probably want to consider the higher rated DSLR's, maybe even higher than the 10D. For someone like myself, an advanced amatuer who mainly shoots for his/her enjoyment, or if it's mainly for indoor studio use you may need nothing more than the Digital Rebel. The image quality is every bit the equal of the 10D. If you CAN manage to work with the Digital Rebel you can definitely afford more of them!

As someone used to having control over metering and AF selection (Elan 7e and EOS 3), have to say with the Digital Rebel I can live with the setup as Canon has provided, something I would not have put up with in a film camera because I have the ability to instantly check whether or not I've gotten the shot I want. The default multi-segment metering is very accurate. I could do no better in center weighted or using a spot meter, and the times I've taken the Digital Rebel to the horse track or hockey game it has emmediately changed into servo focus mode the instant I moved the camera to track a horse or hockey player.

You can see a comparison of the 10D and Digital Rebel at:

<p>

<a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos10d-rebel.html">http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos10d-rebel.html</a>

<p>

I'm also currently working on a similar but more detailed article for photo.net which should be published here within the next couple of weeks.

<p>

If you're used to a 1vHS and high speed shooting of image sequences, the 4 frame buffer at 2.5 fps on the Digital Rebel is going to bother you a lot more than the 9 frame buffer and 3 fps on the 10D.

<p>

The image quality issue is a bit spurious. The image quality of a used film based Rebel body, even the very first Rebel with is now about 20 years old and can be found for $50 on eBay, is just as good as the image quality of a $1500 EOS 1V, so if image quality and saving money were you only concerns, you'd never buy anything but a $50 Rebel!

<p>

If you're a serious shooter and not strapped for cash, the 10D is a no brainer. If you're a beginner or casual shooter and cash is in short supply, the Digital Rebel is an excellent alternative.

Construction was a big factor in my choice too.

The rear dial is also a big factor. I had the 300V and changing aperture in M was a thumb twister. I didn't want the same when I went to digital.

Other features were custom functions and mirror lockup plus most of the ones listed above by others.

All your comments were great and very helpful. I have ordered the 10D and I should have it tomorrow and I will start playing with it. Since I am use to my 1VHS, I hope this will give me many of the capabilities as the 1VHS did. Again your comments were great and I thank you for it and soon you will be sing the pictures I will be taking with the 10D. Keep a watch for those pictures. More recommendation are still welcome, but for those who have commented already thanks.

All your comments were great and very helpful. I have ordered the 10D and I should have it tomorrow and I will start playing with it. Since I am use to my 1VHS, I hope this will give me many of the capabilities as the 1VHS did. Again your comments were great and I thank you for it and soon you will be sing the pictures I will be taking with the 10D. Keep a watch for those pictures. More recommendation are still welcome, but for those who have commented already thanks.

If I may suggest, get the hand strap. Though I reckon you will know this better than I, having had the 1VHS. I got a 24-70mm 2.8 L lens along with a 10D and after a few weeks use I would if I could go back and order a hand strap. It is fine with a 50mm 1.8 attached but the 24-70mm makes my hand ache after a days hand-held shooting.