QFlash T2 - oppinions please

andreas_t

I use a Hassy CW and don't own a flash yet.

Due to the fact that I got a Qflash TTL adapter for Hassy for $15 I consider to buy a

Quantum flash. They run 300-400$ on KEH and e-bay.

I could get a D-40 or a 4504 for a fair bit less.

No weddings, nothing professional. Just a hobby photographer.

Does the qflash T2 justify the additional expense?

Can it only be used with quantum's own turbo battery?

All opionions appreciated.

Thanks,

Andreas

Unlike the D-40 or 4504, you have to use an external battery pack for the Quantum Qflash T2. Besides Quantum Turbo battery, you have several options: Quantum Turbo Z, Turbo C, Turbo 2x2, or appropiate Lumedyne battery pack. You may live without a battery pack with the Hassy D40 if you don't mind the 12-second full power recycling speed with 6 AA batteries...

I am not too familiar with the Hassy D40 or 4504, but I use the Quantum T2 regularly. Since there is no shoe on the Quantum T2 (not even a cold one), you have to use a flash bracket. The T2 flash is very versitile in every regard. I believe the Hassy only has full TTL. The Quantum T2 has both TTL (with appropiate module) and auto settings in 1/3 stops and ISO up to 3200. Also, Quantum offers more accessories. Check out the Quantum website at http://www.qtm.com/ for details

However, one major drawback of the T2 is the long full power flash duration. It's about 1/300s. It's fine for me since I use a camera with focal-plane shutter with 1/60s sync speed. You may need to avoid shutter speed faster than 1/300s with your Hassy when firing the flash at full power.

I use the T2 with my Hasselblads and other cameras. I use it most often on a stand, with a radio transmitter/receiver set-up. The quality of the light is very good with either an umbrella or a glass dome, and it's very consistent. I think it get too big and heavy on a bracket with a Hasselblad. Maybe the addition of a monopod under that whole set-up would help?

I use the T2 with my 503cw, I have a Metz 45 CL-4 (from which the 4504 is based. I like the round parabolic reflector better of the T2 or even the D-40, more even light, perfect with the square format. With the Metz rectangular reflector I get more light falloff.

The T2 reflector can be removed for bare-bulb flash, nice.

see the link below for my flash setup on the 503cw

http://ourplaceusa.home.att.net/hassey.htm