F5 - Is it the last FSLR??

cham_saranasuriya

Hi Guys,

F5 has been around for a while and is a great camera that has even

done a record breaking 1,000,000 exposures

(http://nikon.virtualpresscentre.co.uk/pressreleases/84.shtml)!!!!

I am sure most people will agree that not much to be improved in the

F5, even the Canon users will agree on this. My suspicion is that

Nikon might upgrade it with the new features of the D2H (meter, AF

module, flash etc) as a last attempt to market a few more film SLRs (?

F5X as in F90X previously).

According to retail friends, new F5 sales are minimal. Presently,

most of the commercial buyers tend to prefer the DSLRs anyway, so it

might be targeted for serious amateur photographers. However, there

are not many amateur photographers that will want a high end FSLR, so

it is hard to be certain that there will be a big market for an

upgraded F5, except ofcourse for gearheads with NAS!!!! So Nikon

might not develop this as there is no guarrantied market. They might

allocate more funds in the development of DX/VR lenses that need

catching up with Canon, DSLRs that has a growing demand. In that case

F5 could be the last, just like F2/F3 (depending on whether you

consider F3 a true manual camera)!!! I am interested to find out the

comments and any news from Nikon insiders!!!!

In Thom Hogan's site I read the following:

"Essentially, the F6 will be like a medium format camera in 35mm size. The main component will simply be a light-proof box with lens mount, shutter, and mirror mechanism. Perhaps that part will also have a power supply in it. But everything else (and perhaps the power supply) will be modular. You'll have your choice of bolt-on film or digital backs and your choice of viewfinders. Backs and viewfinders can be interchanged mid-roll/mid-card. I'll go further and point out that Nikon will use the Olympics in Greece to launch this hybrid. If I had to guess at price, I'd guess US$2000 for the base, US$1000 for the viewfinder/metering; US$500 for a film back, and US$2500 for a digital back."

I believe that is a great idea to have a modular slr and shoot whatever you like film or digital.

Todd Peach started a thread in the "Not Archived" Fourm on Thom Hogan's 2004 predictions. While I have a couple of Thom's books and like them a lot, my opinion on those predictions is to take them with a grain of salt. Hybrid film/digital camera is simply a bad idea.

IMO there will never be any F6 in the sense of the film-based flag-ship F series. So few people will buy it that it would have been a huge finalcial loss. It would also be unwise to name any flag-ship DSLR F6 because F will eventually be remembered as the Film series and D is the digital series. Calling a DSLR F6 will simply generate a lot of confusion.

Moreover, a few fairly well known photography web sites might provide some "outragous" or controversal information/prediction once in a while perhaps just to generate traffic and fame to themselves. For example, there were "test results" a few years back that the 3MP Canon EOS D30 was already exceeding 35mm film quality, and there has been endless rumors that Nikon would soon change the F mount so that all Nikkor lenses from 1959 to today will be obsolote overnight (as it happened to other brands before). However, Thom Hogan's "bythom" web site has so far provided high-quality reviews and information. To me, those predictions are out of character and I really hope that this is not a departure from its excellent tradition.

By the way, the title for this thread is F5 being the last film SLR. While I don't think there will be an F6, there could be some film-based F85/N85 as a successor to the F80/N80. I talked to a Nikon rep last week and I mentioined that there probably won't be an F6. His reaction was you'll never know since there was an FM3A, for example.

When you look at what the pros are using they all seem to have digital slr's now. Since they were the main F5 users I don't see an F6 film camera in the future, or even a replacement for the F100. I still maintain the F100 was Nikon's last and best film slr. I just hope it still has some value when I finally decide to trade it in on a digital slr.

While it's tempting--if not somewhat delusional--to ponder an upgraded F5 replete with retrofitted AF/metering tweeks from the D2H, it's still possible that Nikon will do it. It would involve no great shocks to the accountants who run the show, since all components are current. But with F5/F100 sales stagnant, why bother?

Everything I just read is speculation...much of it Sci-fi at that! Where do we come up with things like this??

The F-5 is my bread and butter camera. It is currently (and has been for some time) Nikon's top of the line film camera. If they EVER made an F-6 that was medium format, but used the same Nikon glass, I would not care how much it cost and you can be sure I'd have one. But where does this info come from?? Nikon has yet to come up with anything even close to the Cannon 11 meg digital yet. (The Kodak is not theirs). Why would they put all of this time and technology into a format that is *fading* at best?? Too much time on our hands if you ask me!

<em>"The F5 isn't really bigger than any other single-digit

F-series Nikon with a motor." --Ilkka Nissila<br>

</em><br>

Here is the weight as measured on my OHAUS 2610 high school type

triple beam balance scales of several true F-Series Nikons and

the F100 and Elph Jr. are for comparison. *Except as noted all

cameras are fitted with a Nikon AN-4B 1" nylon strap (non-slip

stuff removed) and powered by Energizer L91 lithium batteries. A

36 exposure cassette weighs approximately 22.5 grams (not

included in weights below).<br>

<br>

Commercial Brick, Traditional Clay = 2,695g *(w/o strap and

batteries)<br>

F3HP w/ MD-4 = 1,384g<br>

F5 = 1,344g<br>

F4s = 1,340g<br>

F4 = 1,164g (w/ MB-20 battery pack)<br>

F100 = 861g<br>

Elph Jr. = 150g *(w/ APS 25 exp. film, CR2 lithium battery and

wrist strap)<br>

<br>

Dont let any one fool you, the big ones only weight 1/2 as

much as a brick :)<br>

<br>

This was part of a foolish response to Phil Greenspuns

review, <u>Nikon F4: Heavy camera or lightweight bludgeon? You

decide</u>. In my response I noted that we fill our F4s cameras

with #00 buck shoot when using them as a bludgeon. I felt that

Phil unfairly trash the F4s especially since it can be fitted

with an MB-20 battery pack and the weight considerably reduced.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave.

>>> The F5 isn't really bigger than any other single-digit F-series Nikon with a motor.

And a Ford Excursion isn't any bigger than a toyota camry pulling a travel trailer.

>>> There are advantages and disadvantages to the weight.

Which is why it's stupid to weld the motor drive to the camera.

I guess it is a bit off the topic but the F2, F3 and F4 cameras have always been a bit heavy. When you add a motor drive to each, they get REALLY heavy. Still I came to think over time (I've been shooting Nikons for a living since the '70's) that these behemoths are what a proper camera ought to be. I think the motor driven F2 and the F4s are the two best cameras Nikon ever built. There is a lot to be said for the N cameras and their light weight. They are super capable, especially when you see how small and light they are. On the other hand, should I ever need to use a camera as a weapon, the F2 will knock 'em on their butt and still be able to photograph their bleeding unconscious face lying on the pavement. There's something to be said for that.

Rick H.

I dont work for Nikon so I cant help with the F6 question, but I would love to be able

to slap a digital back on a camera like the F5

Mark the only thing I dont like about my F100 is when mounted to a tripod I get a tiny

bit of flex where the Mb-15 connects to the body so I think having it all in one piece

like the F5 is far from stupid, also if the F5 was smaller it would not have the "Pro

look" so many people that buy them want :) if you want stupid how about these...grey

focus points?.....or a color meter that makes the veiw darker?...and for the 100 & the

5 charge $5 more and include a couple extra sets of those tiny PC and term caps!

BTW you have some really great shots posted

Ray

There can never be any medium-format camera like those which use 120/220 film today and also use Nikon F mount lenses. The F mount lenses' image circle won't cover such a large image area, not even 645 (6 x 4.5cm, the smallest common medium format today).

It also wouldn't make much sense to slap a digital back onto something like an F5. An F5 has a film transport mechanism, space for film cassette, motor drive, etc. built in. All of that is totally useless for a DSLR unless you somehow want extra dead weight there :-).

Shun Cheung, I guess I dont understang I thing you would still need these if you

wanted to shoot film, the digital back would be nice as an option if you could switch

it as you do on a MF camera

but it would have to be priced pretty low for me being that SLR bodies are pretty

small and that the price of DSLR will drop like computer prices, Id buy a used or old

stock D1x and keep the F100

Thanks for all the opinions. I have some comments.

What I meant by the last was the last pro "F" camera. Sorry for the confusion.

I had a look at Thom's web site, they are very outrageous predictions, somewhat unusual for him, as most of his reviews as Shun mentioned has been very reliable and practical. I also have some of his books which are great.

I agree that even there is a hybrid camera introduced by Nikon it will be named as "F" as it implies "Film" from Nikon's previous history. Better alternative would be Nikon DF (not FD because Canon FD)!!!!

I consider it is advantageous that the motor drive booster is built-in in the F5 personally. It gives better weather protection, less hassle to mount and un-mount, better feel with long telephotos ie does not bend or move. If you were to use the motor drive full time why not it is bult-in anyway?? The down side is the weight, in that case better off getting the F100 and the battery pack.

Cheers